Progress hybrid preignition before cat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chipsoflyin

Dec 11, 2008
nw ohio
Went though the usual routine this morning, got good secondaries for a half hour, stove goes black, see some flickering light but no flame in the box, look up at the screen and above the screen I was getting massive secondary burn, about a half hour of that and now the secondaries are back in the box. Anyone seen this yet and I was wondering about flame impingement on the cat, ceramic cat may not work in this environment, if they ever come out with one

No, I haven't seen that, but then again, I haven't been looking. I will do so in the future. Please tell WS about this - I wonder if it is supposed to be happening??? So, this occurred after you had secondary burn in the firebox, when the firebox had "gone black"?

Secondary burn in firebox for half hour, box goes black, secondary burn above screen for half hour then secondary burn back down in the firebox, I was thinking maybe creosote buildup before the cat

Every couple of weeks I pull the bypass damper and clean the screens, no evidence of creosote above the screens.

That happens all the time in the Fireview with the SS scoop + inconel screen. The flame can be coaxed back down into the firebox by opening the air a bit, but I don't worry about it anymore. I called Woodstock, and they said that flame impingement = sucking flame through the cat with too much draft.

Thanx

Status
Not open for further replies.