Progress Hybrid Slow Burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slow1

Minister of Fire
Nov 26, 2008
Eastern MA
Inspired by other posts recently showing nice burns I figured I'd shoot one of mine. Here is a slow burn from last night. I had started from a cold start (just cleaned the dust from glass too, nice timing). Full firebox top down start. This is about 45 minutes after first startup and maybe 15 minutes after cat engagement - air is fully off.

This load burned like that as long as I know - I went to bed an hour or so later and it was still burning back and fort with the same flames (a bit more or less at times).

You can see where my thermometer is placed - it peaked at about 550 sometime in the night based on the foil piece set there. This morning (13 hrs later) I do have enough flames to re-start, but barely and the stovetop is reading 200. House is nice and warm. The pipe thermometer you see is just a surface thermometer and it is double-wall pipe so I still wonder just how useful it is, but it generally reports around 160-180.

Sorry it is so dark and ignore the background noise please - hard to keep kids quiet.

Enjoy!

Nice. Thanks for sharing.

I recently installed a probe thermometer, but have also kept the magnetic therm on the double wall (ICC) pipe, On my pipe, as I suspected, the internal temp seems to run just about exactly three times the magnetic thermometer temp. So, at a gues, your internal temps are likley about 480-540..

Reactions: Comanche79p
Thanks for the post.

Was this a full load?

Nice. Thanks for sharing.

I recently installed a probe thermometer, but have also kept the magnetic therm on the double wall (ICC) pipe, On my pipe, as I suspected, the internal temp seems to run just about exactly three times the magnetic thermometer temp. So, at a gues, your internal temps are likley about 480-540..

Interesting - so that seems a little bit high to me for a low burn. Certainly it is higher than I would get on the FV, but this is a bigger stove so perhaps that accounts for some of it (more air flowing?)

I had started from a cold start (just cleaned the dust from glass too, nice timing). Full firebox top down start.
Thanks. This leads me to ask why are some members getting 16-24 hours of heat and some getting just barely 13 hours? As someone that may buy 3 of these stoves down the road, this is kind of important.

Reactions: PapaDave
Thanks for the post.

Was this a full load?

Pretty much as full as I have ever done, certainly from a cold start. I had some shorts that I fit in the bottom end to end so that two would fully run the length of the box (three rows of two) so it was like having 22" splits that were cut in half down there. Then above that I put another row of normal splits (16" roughtly) then put a short in front of the door running N/S to fill in that space. Top row had a split in the back and front (back was up against the bottom of the slanted baffle, good place for wedge shaped splits), then a few pieces of 'kindling' and the super cedar in the middle to light it all off. I imagine I could have put another couple splits in the front - one on top of the kindling and one on top of the front to fill that space, but that would have been well above the door (which in this configuration looked like solid wood). All of this is oak, very dry and solid.

Thanks. This leads me to ask why are some members getting 16-24 hours of heat and some getting just barely 13 hours? As someone that may buy 3 of these stoves down the road, this is kind of important.

That is a mystery to me too. I wonder if the 16-24 hour folks see the same burn as this?

See note above about my flue temps too, I wonder if it is a tad high. I've wondered if my draft may be a bit stronger? I'm open to ideas - unfortunately 'throwing a damper in' doesn't seem so simple to me as there isn't all that much extra space in my vertical space and frankly I don't want to damage the pipe pulling and re-screwing the screws and make a mess of it all.

Pretty much as full as I have ever done, certainly from a cold start. I had some shorts that I fit in the bottom end to end so that two would fully run the length of the box (three rows of two) so it was like having 22" splits that were cut in half down there. Then above that I put another row of normal splits (16" roughtly) then put a short in front of the door running N/S to fill in that space. Top row had a split in the back and front (back was up against the bottom of the slanted baffle, good place for wedge shaped splits), then a few pieces of 'kindling' and the super cedar in the middle to light it all off. I imagine I could have put another couple splits in the front - one on top of the kindling and one on top of the front to fill that space, but that would have been well above the door (which in this configuration looked like solid wood). All of this is oak, very dry and solid.
This is a bit concerning for me. When I upgrade after the VC stoves need to be rebuilt in about 5-7 years I am considering the Progress as a replacement for all three locations. But, If I can only expect the same, or less burn times than the Defiant, I do not know if this is the solution for me.

That is a mystery to me too. I wonder if the 16-24 hour folks see the same burn as this?

See note above about my flue temps too, I wonder if it is a tad high. I've wondered if my draft may be a bit stronger? I'm open to ideas - unfortunately 'throwing a damper in' doesn't seem so simple to me as there isn't all that much extra space in my vertical space and frankly I don't want to damage the pipe pulling and re-screwing the screws and make a mess of it all.
Maybe others are able to lock the temps down at a lower point? It would be nice to see stove and cat probe temp comparisons on this with those that have had longer burns.

If you read Slow 1's description of his load, he put 12 or more pieces of wood in the stove. Go with three large 16 inch splits and you'll get a much longer burn time. Have never tried 22 inch wood, so don't know how long you'd get with that. Have some, but it's not in the stack I'm using. MAYBE, maybe I'll fish some out toward the end of this week if it stays really cold, and see what happens.

With three large splits, my flue temp usuallty starts cat burn at 450, may go up a bit, then comes down a bit to slightly below 450 usually. Perhaps I'll start keeping track of flue temp and # of logs loaded, burn time and indoor and outdoor temp...maybe even wieght the wood if I remember to get some batteries for the scale...

Reactions: BrowningBAR
If you read Slow 1's description of his load, he put 12 or more pieces of wood in the stove. Go with three large 16 inch splits and you'll get a much longer burn time. Have never tried 22 inch wood, so don't know how long you'd get with that. Have some, but it's not in the stack I'm using. MAYBE, maybe I'll fish some out toward the end of this week if it stays really cold, and see what happens.

With three large splits, my flue temp usuallty starts cat burn at 450, may go up a bit, then comes down a bit to slightly below 450 usually. Perhaps I'll start keeping track of flue temp and # of logs loaded, burn time and indoor and outdoor temp...maybe even wieght the wood if I remember to get some batteries for the scale...

I agree - I wish I had larger diameter splits to even try here. I don't know how large to go though - what diameter splits do you go with anyway?

As big as will fit in the door. That's what I go by when I split. :rolleyes:

edit: Of course, some aren't that big. I just stop splitting when a split is small enough to go in the door...so some will be a small as just over half as big as will fit in.

Inspired by other posts recently showing nice burns I figured I'd shoot one of mine. Here is a slow burn from last night. I had started from a cold start (just cleaned the dust from glass too, nice timing). Full firebox top down start. This is about 45 minutes after first startup and maybe 15 minutes after cat engagement - air is fully off.

This load burned like that as long as I know - I went to bed an hour or so later and it was still burning back and fort with the same flames (a bit more or less at times).

You can see where my thermometer is placed - it peaked at about 550 sometime in the night based on the foil piece set there. This morning (13 hrs later) I do have enough flames to re-start, but barely and the stovetop is reading 200. House is nice and warm. The pipe thermometer you see is just a surface thermometer and it is double-wall pipe so I still wonder just how useful it is, but it generally reports around 160-180.

Sorry it is so dark and ignore the background noise please - hard to keep kids quiet.

Enjoy!

Nice video! The T5 burns like the PH! I didn't expect this to be honest.. I get long burn times and good efficiency the top down burn seems to be why..

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.