Progress Hybrid vs Blaze King Cat Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my answer based on a higher authority: _g

BLAZE KING ---------------------------------PROGRESS

Wife wont allow--------------------------------Wife Likes

That says it all! I was pleasantly surprised that my wife actually liked the looks of the BK Parlor. She is also very impressed with it's performance.

I wonder though if Woodstock would of had their open house earlier if she would of fell in love with the PH and I would of been driving home with one in the back of my pickup.

I swore I would not click on another PH vs BK thread ever again !

We need more Todds. Just so we can have Todd 8; The "Ocho".

Reactions: Beetle-Kill
Tres, cuatro, cinco, seis,.....it's all Todd :p
BTW, the BKK Parlor on my hearth looks better than the PH that isn't there.
heh, heh..

Here on Todd 8 'The Ocho'. Bringing you the finest in seldom-seen stove topics from around the globe since 1999. If it's almost a burning related, we've got it here.

Tres, cuatro, cinco, seis,.....it's all Todd :p
BTW, the BKK Parlor on my hearth looks better than the PH that isn't there.
heh, heh..
My $400 like-new Defiant that I picked up last year looks better than either!;lol

I would like to know who in the heck started a thread like this.

just for the record, PH has quite acceptable clearances. Standard rear clearance 6 inches, loading door side 24 inches, front hearth protection standard 12 inches, reduced to 8 inches with addition of lip under window; corner clearances on corner install 12 inches.

It's that side clearance that's a killer. and they must have done something recently with the rear clearances because I don't recall it being that close....

Just in case anyone was wondering-not that anyone was-the clearances for the Republic with a doublewall connector are:

sidewall to stove: 13"
backwall to stove: 4 1/2"
cornerwall to stove: 6 1/2"
and 16" min front floor protection

Reactions: Treacherous
It's that side clearance that's a killer. and they must have done something recently with the rear clearances because I don't recall it being that close....

It's not really a killer since you'd be hard pressed to load the stove if you had less than 2 feet of space to work with. Try loading a 22" split with 18" of space. ;) They include a rear heat shield standard, and that brings the rear clearance to 6" (actually I thought it was 7" but whatever).

All side loading stoves have larger clearances on the loading side. It is unavoidable.

Neither! One's ugly, and the other is a side-loader. They're equally useless. ;hm

It's not really a killer since you'd be hard pressed to load the stove if you had less than 2 feet of space to work with. Try loading a 22" split with 18" of space. ;) They include a rear heat shield standard, and that brings the rear clearance to 6" (actually I thought it was 7" but whatever).

Well, either way, it's what kills it for me. I need less side clearance than it allows for. Which is why I have a front loader...and why I originally said I wanted a front load right swing door too :D My stove sits to the side of the hearth pad so the stack doesn't need to make any funky bends to avoid coming through the ridge. Also, bumping it over would have made the way we set up our living room impossible.

So I go back to my original stove want: BK burn times in a stove that looks like a PH but has the clearances and front load right swing door of the Republic. Since that isn't going to happen, I'm keeping my Republic :D

Reactions: Treacherous
Neither! One's ugly, and the other is a side-loader. They're equally useless. ;hm
Side loaders are fine when the wood is mainly loaded east-west and front loaders are best for N-S loading.. I am not crazy about the looks of the BK's (they are slowly growing on me) but they have a great reputation and appear to be very well made with good performance too.. The PH's are great to look at, are well made and also perform very well with rave reviews..

Ray

Reactions: rideau
Well, either way, it's what kills it for me. I need less side clearance than it allows for. Which is why I have a front loader...and why I originally said I wanted a front load right swing door too :D My stove sits to the side of the hearth pad so the stack doesn't need to make any funky bends to avoid coming through the ridge. Also, bumping it over would have made the way we set up our living room impossible.

So I go back to my original stove want: BK burn times in a stove that looks like a PH but has the clearances and front load right swing door of the Republic. Since that isn't going to happen, I'm keeping my Republic :D

So by useless you mean that neither will work for your situation. That's not surprising. We all have to find stoves that fit our spaces. No one is trying to talk you out of your Lopi Republic. You make it sound as if you would have liked to replace with either of the other stoves had they met your clearance requirements.
In my opinion, it is great that you found a stove that will fit your needs. Hope you enjoy its heat for many years to come. And, who knows, if you want to switch some day, perhaps the stove design contest that is underway will come up with a minimal clearance, long burning, clean burning stove that will be perfect for you. One can hope...

Reactions: raybonz
So by useless you mean that neither will work for your situation.

Useless? I think Joful said that...I didn't though.

Calm down, rideau... just having some fun. The whole thread was started with that intent... I think. ;)

That's funny stuff. but to correct you on one point, the Bk is a front loader, not a side loader.

Okay - that put a smile on my face.;lol

Reactions: rideau
That's funny stuff. but to correct you on one point, the Bk is a front loader, not a side loader.

Good stuff!

I also thought this whole thread was meant to be pretty light hearted.

Status
Not open for further replies.