Progress on the cutting, splitting and stacking of the log load

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adkjake

Burning Hunk
Jan 3, 2010
Adirondack High Peaks
Making some good progress on the log load I had delivered back in early February. First pic is what it looked like then.

Used the ATV and the winch to haul it off the driveway and to my cutting and splitting area. Got it all bucked to 16 inch on average
rounds. Stacked them 3 high and started splitting with a maul. Taking on the smaller rounds. 2nd pic is what I've split and stacked so far.

And finally, here's what's left to split.

This was the first time I bought a load from this guy, he advertised that it would yield 9+ face cords, but you never know. I'm not even
one third through the stack of rounds, have done only the smaller ones, and the split stack you see is 16 inch wide, 4 ft high, and it is about 16 feet to
where the dog is. FYI, the dog was up there looking for one of her bones I placed on top when I went to get the camera.

I'm going to pick up my buddy's splitter this week and start on the big stuff.

Attachments

• WoodPile 003.jpg
    WoodPile 003.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 357
  • splitting 001.jpg
    splitting 001.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 434
  • splitting 003.jpg
    splitting 003.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 398
Nice yard cart :)

Yes, bought it from a guy over in Silver Lake, $400 or he'll bring you 5 face cords of cut and split 16 inch, not seasoned for $350. Since I like doing
the cutting, splitting and stacking and have the time, no brainer for me.

yeah, it is a handy little multi task cart. Supposed to hold 1000 lbs, don't think I'd ever go there,

How much have you loaded on it?

Attachments

• yard cart.jpg
    yard cart.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 333
Adkjake said:
yeah, it is a handy little multi task cart. Supposed to hold 1000 lbs, don't think I'd ever go there,

How much have you loaded on it?

I got one of those at Lowes and love it.. I have loaded it many times tightly packed and over full with green oak and it handles it... Hard to pull when that heavy.. So far I estimate I have hauled about 5 cords with it with 1.5 cords of that green oak through the woods with soft ground.. Best cart I have ever had for firewood!

Ray

Agreed, for $99, it is a great deal. I had it loaded to the max with splits today, and was pulling it over icy, slushy snow, half frozen ground. Those
flotation tires work pretty well

Jake it looks like you stack really good and have done quite a bit of splitting. Is there a reason you are not going to finish the splitting by hand? If it is just size, don't let that stop you as the big logs split pretty nicely. I'd rather do the big ones than the little ones.

Main reason for going to the power splitter is tendenitis in my elbows. I got it last summer building the garage, guess it was all the lifting
and hammering. Swinging the maul causes it to flare up. Although it is manageable by using the three I therapy:

Ice

Ibuprofen

Imbibe!

I'll keep swinging the maul as it is a good workout, use the splitter on some of the bigger gnarly stuff

Adkjake said:
Main reason for going to the power splitter is tendenitis in my elbows. I got it last summer building the garage, guess it was all the lifting
and hammering. Swinging the maul causes it to flare up. Although it is manageable by using the three I therapy:

Ice

Ibuprofen

Imbibe!

I'll keep swinging the maul as it is a good workout, use the splitter on some of the bigger gnarly stuff

Know how that feels swung a sledge hammer for 2 days straight and got tendonitis.. Went to physical therapy at work and it took 6 months to feel good again.. Bought a Lowes Task Force electric splitter after that..

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.