1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Progress ( woodstock)

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by doug60, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Battenkiller

Battenkiller Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Just Outside the Blue Line
    Capricious? :smirk:

Yeah, Flatbed, I kinda shrug my shoulders when I see folks whining about having to flip a bypass lever. These old VCs are powerful heaters, but they are notoriously fiddly to operate. When I watch the simplicity of adjusting the burn on the Progress compared to many older stoves I just start grinning from ear to ear.

Another silly complaint IMO is the need to use a specialized tool to operate the bypass and the side load door. Cripes, try opening the top load door on a raging Vigilant with your bare hands. It's a solid cast iron griddle plate with a small flange in the casting for a handle... which might be anywhere up to 850º hot. :ahhh:

Heavy-duty gloves are an essential part of any woodburner's arsenal. You could easily operate the Progress without having to reach for a fancy tool merely by using a gloved hand. The tool in nice, though. How often have you stuck your gloves in your back pocket and walked away and set them somewhere else, only to go back to the stove and find you forgot to pick them up again? It's pretty certain you will leave the special tool on the hearth when you are done using it, so it will always be there when you need it.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    A new handle, or handles are in the works.
  3. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    Even if you do have to use the tool on the PH, you will only have to use it once or twice a day!
  4. BrowningBAR

BrowningBAR Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA

The transition from shoulder season to full-on winter changes how quickly you open that top griddle. Shoulder season I crack it open a bit, pause, and then fully lift to keep smoke from spilling out. The damn griddle is too hot during the winter to pause very long even with heavy-duty gloves.

And I have six pairs of gloves now. All six pairs end up migrating to the one stove I don't need them at.
  5. Battenkiller

Battenkiller Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Just Outside the Blue Line
    I have about six pair of gloves with a nice, hard groove baked into the crook of the right hand index finger. Bet yours look similar. ;-)
  6. BrowningBAR

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA

I know that groove well. It's on the left hand glove, though.
  7. Flatbedford

Loc:
    Maybe you two could work something out?
  8. ddddddden

ddddddden Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Va
    FWIW, I like the handle on the Fireview. It's like a child safety cap. Keeps curious hands from opening the stove door, which could have catastrophic consequences. It also reminds me to put on gloves before reloading the stove. . .I don't use the tool. That said, I can understand the preference for a different type of handle in households without curious hands. . .awfully nice of Woodstock to accomodate you. :)
  9. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Den, I also always put the gloves on and have never used the tool on the Fireview. I wonder how many folks do actually use that thing?
  10. Flatbedford

Loc:
    I never do. I don't use gloves on the controls. Only to open and close the door.
  11. Slow1

Slow1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern MA
    Speaking of handles... I REALLY like the door latch/handle on the PH. The design really pulls the door closed and seems to seal it shut well. Talk about a positive closure knowing that the door is sealed. Even the FV doesn't have such a nice feel to it.
  12. BrowningBAR

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA

That's one of the things I like about the Heritage. The air controls are low enough to the ground I can make adjustments with my feet. The easiest stove to operate of the four that I have owned, and it's not even close.
  13. Flatbedford

Loc:
    You make adjustments with your what?
  14. BrowningBAR

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA

Damn that rum. The post has been corrected.

Back to the Rum.