Project: Grandma Bear?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CowboyUpPride

Feb 3, 2012
Oregon
Hey there...My name is Lucas. We've had Fisher wood stoves for around 25 years until 4 years ago when we went to a Castile Quadra-Fire and have regretted it ever since(doesn't put out near enough heat). I got this Fisher not long ago and thru Google and the research I've done here I'm pretty sure I have a Grandma Bear Fisher stove. It has 5 bricks across the back with an 8" flue out the top AND the back. I'm unsure why there is a top and rear flue...Anyone here seen it before or know why? I've sanded and repainted the entire stove except the doors which I was planning to have sand blasted...no rust anywhere.

Attachments

• Screenshot.png
    Screenshot.png
    129.6 KB · Views: 785
  • Screenshot-1.png
    Screenshot-1.png
    200 KB · Views: 690
Look'n good. Bet you can't wait to fire that baby up.

Coaly with be along eventualy with more Fisher info than you thought you needed.

That's a Barometric stove. A barometric damper goes in the rear "inlet". Does it have a box inside like pictured below?

You can cap it and use a manual damper in the flue pipe if you want.

Grandma circa 1977 with the older original 4 fin draft caps and tight springs. Looks like chrome ball feet? Nice. If it has rear and bottom shields, it's a Grandma II.

Attachments

• Grandma Baro Finest Fishers 12 9-2011.jpg
    Grandma Baro Finest Fishers 12 9-2011.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 724
  • Grandma Bear w baro Finest Fishers 3.jpg
    Grandma Bear w baro Finest Fishers 3.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 725
  • Barometric air box looking up top flue outlet 2.jpg
    Barometric air box looking up top flue outlet 2.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 687
  • Barometric air box in Grandma looking down top vent-001.jpg
    Barometric air box in Grandma looking down top vent-001.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 642
Dune said:
Coaly with be along eventualy with more Fisher info than you thought you needed.

Just in case you want to see an original Barometric box supplied with a Fisher Stove, here's one on the back of a Papa Bear. This could be used on any rear vented stove to make damper operation automatic.

** The Flue Firebox Outlet is part number 411 and should extend into the firebox 2 inches on GM and GP models. (top or rear vent) They are .125 X 8 dia. tubing X 3 1/2. (They are flush with the inside of firebox on Barometric Models).
Didn't want to disappoint you Dune. :)

Attachments

• Papa Bear 3.jpg
    Papa Bear 3.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 671
You didn't.

Yes it does have the box inside just like that and chrome ball feet that need the paint removed and it has the rear and bottom shields...I never noticed the bottom shield before. Cool I really like this stove. Bet it really puts out the heat!!

Is it important that the bricks are uncracked or can they have some cracks and still work fine?

Attachments

• Screenshot-2.png
    Screenshot-2.png
    132.1 KB · Views: 706
They are not worth taking out yet. When pieces are missing, exposing metal it is time to be concerned. Most don't have the second course of brick and don't show any signs of never having them. (warping, bulging, discoloration) That is exactly what the prints call for.

The Draft Box revision was drawn 6/25/77.

The steel for the entire stove is specified to be HRS (Hot Rolled Steel) and the shields are specified to be 20 Gauge Cold Rolled Steel. There is a note on the drawing stating the shields are not necessary on a stove being installed in front of a fireplace on a hearth. The shield revision is dated 7/22/77, was tested and became the Listed Grandma II with those revisions. So your stove was made after that date and before the draft caps and springs went to the newer styles in '78.

Ha, you just answered my question from another post. Thanks!

The next question is, what's the advantage of a barometric damper. Seems like it would just add air to the mix and not necessarily damp the stove down. Will it just reduce the power of the draft by adding fresh air directly into the chimney?

Status
Not open for further replies.