Proof that you don't need sun or wind for wood to release moisture

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy S.

Feeling the Heat
Oct 28, 2013
Southeastern, PA
If you ever want to prove that firewood releases moisture without sun or wind just make the mistake of leaving some in your trunk overnight in the winter. You will be greeted in the morning with a windshield full of ice - on the inside. Ugh.

Reactions: Knots and Ashful
Thanks for taking a hit for the team in proving a point!

Reactions: Applesister
Thanks for taking a hit for the team in proving a point!
Man it was unintentional but you're welcome. I had loaded up my trunk from my pile at work because my rack in the garage was getting low and didn't get home until it had started raining. It wasn't supposed to go below freezing so I left it sit. Scraping and wiping the interior of your windows at 6AM is no way to start a day.

Man it was unintentional but you're welcome. I had loaded up my trunk from my pile at work because my rack in the garage was getting low and didn't get home until it had started raining. It wasn't supposed to go below freezing so I left it sit. Scraping and wiping the interior of your windows at 6AM is no way to start a day.
I made the mistake of leaving some wood in my suv overnight. every window dripping wet in the am

Could it be worse? The wood could be loaded with black ants in suspended animation, and come to life in your vehicle!!!

Lol, I left some wet clothes in my truck and didn't drive it for a week. Then last Friday I needed to drive it into work and found I had the same issue with ice on the inside!! The worst part was having cold water drip down my neck when the sunroof started thawing out!

After college I had a Pontiac Sunbird as cheap wheels. There were many, many things wrong with that car but the 2 worst had to be that the door seals had fallen apart and the heater fan only worked occasionally, after I'd pop the hood and beat on it a little. Rain and melting snow would get in the car & freeze on the inside of the windows. I had to scrape them many, many days in the winter. Then I'd get to drive around with no heat or defrost and a noticeable breeze blowing through the car.
Didn't pick up a lot of ladies in that car...

Reactions: Andy S.
I had a Pontiac Sunbird as cheap wheels.
That brought back some memories. I used to be able to get through the gears on my 4-speed without using the clutch (with as many as 7 of us in it).

Yeah, that 3.1L V6 pulled the little car along pretty good. Too bad everything else fell apart <>

Great! Instead of taking my beater to the junkyard, ill make asolar still out of it. Brilliant!

Great! Instead of taking my beater to the junkyard, ill make asolar still out of it. Brilliant!
I did just that with a 83 olds wagon after the tranny went. I could dry down many pounds of mint with all the seats down.

Status
Not open for further replies.