Propane gas pressure?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

babalu87

Nov 23, 2005
middleborough, ma.
What would they set a regulator at the tank for?
I want to get one of them thar outdoor cookers and want to make sure I get the most out of it.
House has a big tank (60 gallon) and it is currently running a gas stove, dryer and a grill.

I would think the pressure would be set at the standard (1/2 psi as mentioned above) but you might have to get a bigger regulator -based on capacity or btu- depending on how many appliances you want to run at once.

1/2 psi? No wonder everywhere I ask says "No, we don't have any gauges for propane." I'd like to put on on my camper bottle, so I know when it is about empty. CAN one by a gauge for such low pressure (without having to go to NASA, be Bill Gates, etc)? Thanks. j

The tank pressure is going to vary with the ambient temperature. The pressure will remain fairly constant until the bottle is almost empty. You need to weigh it to figure how much is in it. If you can pick it up, you can slosh it around to feel how much is in it. The pressure after the regulator(s) will be 1/2 PSI.

The pressure from the Tank to the house is generally fairly high. I learned it once and want to say upwards of 50 inWC. Now after it hits the second stage regulator which is on the side of the house it will be between 11 inWC and 14 inWC.

All interesting. I was hoping to not have to take the bottle out and "weigh it", as that means disconnecting, unbolting, line-loss refilling, etc. No biggie. We don't use the camper much. Thanks. Or should I say "tanks"?

I have heard of a stick on thermal indicator strip that shows you the level as you use it. As the propane vaporizes, it gets cooler and this line will feel cooler below the liquid level. You might also try dumping some hot water down the side of the bottle and shooting it with an infrared thermometer or feeling for a temperature differnece with your hand. The steel above the liquid line will be much hotter.

There are usually two regulators on an LP system. The one at the tank regulates the tank down to an intermediate pressure of maybe 10-20 PSI to go into the house. At the house, it is further regulated down to the appliance pressure, typically 11"wc. The one piece regulators that go on gas grilles do all of this in one stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.