Propane Jargon Annoying!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRanger

Nov 19, 2007
British Columbia
Mabye this crap is only in Canada? Well, here goes. When I leased our propane tank it was a hundred gallon tank,(on my statement I am leasing a 420lb tank) when it gets filled, (it is filled in litres). When I take my portable one to the gas station to have it filled.(it is filled in pounds). These TURKEYS that are supplying us really try to make things nonsensical-lol... And lord only knows what kind of gallon they are using (imperial) or American??

Many propane tanks can only be filled 80% to allow for expansion even that 5 gallon tank is filled only 4 galons

Thanks pyro: yes I was aware of the 80%,my complaint is with the gallons,pounds,litres, US gallons, Imperial gallons. In particular, the poundsxgallons. What is with the pounds? Hey, gotta complain about something today, wife is at work, and cause I`m retired, this is vaccuming day FOR ME..hate it, but all done now. This is the price one must pay when retiring and the wife is still working-lol

Some data on the density of propane.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propane

Properties
Density and phase 1.83 kg/m3, gas
0.5077 kg/L, liquid
Solubility in water 0.1 g/cm3 (37.8°C)
Melting point −187.6 °C (85.5 K)
Boiling point −42.09 °C (231.1 K)

I guess that the differences in the way dispensing is handled has to do with the method of delivery. If you walk into a place that fills cylinders, they will take your cylinder, set it on a scale and then fill it by weight up to the specified limit for the container. So they typically charge by the lb or gallon (there is generally a flow meter at the pump measuring in gal). They also add a handling charge and have a minimum fee, so the bottom line is that there are a lot of fees for only a small amount of fuel if you have a 20lb cylinder.

For the fixed propane tank, you pay for the volume that they pump in or dispense, since they cannot weigh your tank. The fill line and vent are normally arranged to preclude overfilling and leave an appropriate space for expansion. Then comes the fees for distance, time, alignment of the planets etc etc. In Iowa I noticed that farmers had their tanks mounted on axles so that they could be towed for filling (I guess propane is somehow used for fertilizer ?) which may save on the delivery end of the deal. It would certainly give one more "shopping options".

On the topic of propane...

Out of curiosity, what are you guys paying per gallon (US gallon) for propane?

I'm wondering because my propane company just delivered almost a full 400 gallons of propane to my tank (I was really low) at $3.24/gal. The total bill, a little over $1100 was a bit of a shock. I know oil/gas prices are high right now, but I'm trying to discern if I am being gouged or not.

I don't mean to hijack your thread, but the topic seemed to fit.

-SF

sonnyinbc said:
Thanks pyro: yes I was aware of the 80%,my complaint is with the gallons,pounds,litres, US gallons, Imperial gallons. In particular, the poundsxgallons. What is with the pounds? Hey, gotta complain about something today, wife is at work, and cause I`m retired, this is vaccuming day FOR ME..hate it, but all done now. This is the price one must pay when retiring and the wife is still working-lol

Sonny, pay the US price in Imperial gallons and get the delivery on the coldest day you can tolerate. That gas compresses, and if you are paying by volume, that's the way to go. Selling at the retailer by the gallon at 75* is a plus for the seller. If you have trouble translating the units take your scientific calculator in to the office and challenge the calculations. Years ago, I had a tank fill on my delivery truck from an in ground tank at 55* to the side tank at 110* and got twenty gallons in a 22 gallon tank. Twenty minutes later the pressure relief valve when off and I shot about half of the fill into the air, as I sat a discrete fifty feet away. I had spent the time trying to explain why I was so dumb.

Sly: it`s about $3.50 a gallon here in BC Canada. (delivered). And UncleRich, we have a catch22 with buying in winter. Usually, if I get a delivery in July it is approx 65 cents cheaper per gallon, than it is in January. Yep, they gottcha coming and going. Don` t want to go off topic here, but this year I only allow the oil-fired boiler to come on during the middle of the night. Running the wood insert and the propane insert much more. Space heating is so much more economical.

Status
Not open for further replies.