1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Propane Lighter for Wood Stove Inserts?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by vanasdale, Oct 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vanasdale

vanasdale New Member

My "brother-in-law :smirk: " used a gas log set in his open-fireplace for years, but now burns wood. He uses his propane line to light the wood (I have not observed it in use nor have I seen the valve or lighter at all).

Does such a device exist for an airtight cast iron woodstove? I feel this is economic and instant gratification compared to black-palm-newspaper-wadding, hope-kindling-lights-this-time... 8-/ when I was little.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. vanasdale

vanasdale New Member

if anyone writes a kaBOOM joke, i'll scream :-/
  3. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
  4. hearthtools

hearthtools Moderator Emeritus

Loc:
    Oakhurst, California, USA, Earth
    LPG
    Air tight area

BOOM!
  5. skypager

skypager New Member

Loc:
    Bucks County, PA
    Yeah, Gas log lighters aren't very safe in air tight stoves. Even one in a open fireplace makes me a little nervous. I spent a little time in the San Antonio area of Texas and it seemed that every open fireplace had one. Most of our local jurisdicitions here in Bucks and Montgomery Counties in PA have made them illegal. As BeGreen suggested, get yourself a good firestarter. Also do a search on the forum, there are many threads around here about sucsessful methods of build a fire in a wood stove.
  6. vanasdale

vanasdale New Member

Thanks. I have a small house. What few closets we have keep the floorspace open. Closets are already full with Bulk purchased TP, Linen, and seasonal storage. I'll find a place for Super Cedar, maybe enlarge my sock drawer. ;-)
  7. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Gas Starters: I don't like 'em. Even for open fireplaces. Just say no!
  8. wg_bent

wg_bent Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    well put. I was thinking same thing.
  9. ourhouse

ourhouse Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Norfolk Ma
    Go with super cedars
  10. DonCT

DonCT Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    Or just search the forums for fire starters. There are several threads with different options.

Everyone who's used the Super Cedars loves them.
  11. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    With the aged pine I've been burning of late (was on place for two three years, looks like they tried to burn it in a pile at one time!) I've found while attempting to get a draft going with newspapers that the woods lights off from the newspapers! I got those wax and wood firestarters with the rectangular cross sections (vs triangular that I don't like) that are easy to break off at the local True Value hardware.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.