propane smell?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iron

Minister of Fire
Sep 23, 2015
southeast kootenays
this morning, after loading up the fireplace/stove and then rocking our baby back to sleep, when i came out of the room i noticed a smell like you'd have with a mr. heater propane tank attachment in the house. this is a first.

should i be concerned? i think i had a piece of birch in the mix (or something that looks like it - white papery skin, but more like a cedar color/grain on the inside), so that might have been different. but, i know i've burned a few pieces like this before and haven't smelled it.

Is it possible the stove back puffed?

Did the fireplace get a bit hotter than usual?

Reactions: KindredSpiritzz
no propane. fireplace wasn't any hotter than normal.

i think it was actually a staining/polyurethane project i was doing in my garage. even though i had the window in the garage open, it must've penetrated through the garage ceiling into the house. crazy.

is there danger with this? i'd hate to supercharge the inside of my house with explosive gases only to have the fireplace light it off...

Status
Not open for further replies.