propane splitters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bill*67

Jan 24, 2008
upper michigan
i know they make conversions for generators but does anyone have or use a propane splitter? is it better on fuel usage? just wondering

I don't think using propane would be better than gas on a log splitter. Propane does not produce as much power as gas. I know ther are some propane powered janitoral devices but that is because propane puts out less emissions than gas which would be important inside an enclosed uilding.

Besides that propane is such a pain in the butt to go get and keep fueled up on compaired to gas. My splitter goes to the field with me and mobility is important to me.

It would be like a bomb on a splitter!!! Go gas and you will be happy.

Propane is just as good as gasoline as far as power is concerned and they don't blow up. It is less expensive than gasoline right now, but how much do you use the splitter and will it pay for itself?

I'm thinking of converting my mower to LP or CNG :cheese:

Chris

We had some LP tractors on the farm in the 70's. Burns extremely clean. The biggest advantage I can see is that it can sit for 2 or 3 years, turn on the valves, and fire up the engine. No fuel gumming or deterioration.

However, overall I don't think worth it. Takes more skill and technology to run it, learn how to run on vapor, switch to liquid, how to check the fuel level in the tank etc. I am not sure how an air cooled engine would run without water jacket to convert liquid to vapor. I suppose the fuel use is so low that just like a BBQ grille it would vaporize from air heat around the tank.

And it really sucks running out of fuel in the field or on the road. Real hard to carry a gallon can of LP......

Nice idea for generator with fixed piping to a large house tank, but I would not go there with a

kcjsplitter.

"We had some LP tractors on the farm in the 70’s."

We did too back in those days. In fact there is one here that is still in service but due to the fact it is such a pain to fuel (a ROYAL pain to fuel when the weather is real hot) I seldom use it.

There are quite a few LP gas and CNG fork trucks in the industrial warehouses here. On the LP gas fork trucks they just swap out the tanks to refuel. On the other hand, the CNG tanks are permanently mounted. They look to be too heavy to be handled by hand and I noticed that they have an area for fueling those rigs with tanks in place. I was told that the CNG fueled fork trucks burn cleaner than the LP gas rigs and that this allows them to better avoid carbon monoxide issues in closed in warehouses where many of these rigs are in use.

It would work just fine. The modern LPG kits use propane vapor and not liquid so no water heater is needed. The kits are much cheaper with a high fixed rpm application so a splitter would be fine. It'll cost about 200$ to make it a tri-fuel deal. Since you spend so much time working in the exhaust I would expect that the lower emissions would be a good thing. Also, the fuel is cheaper but not so much cheaper to justify the adaptation since you don't use it that much.

Now a lawnmower, a rider especially, seems to consume lots of road gasoline. Would pay for the conversion pretty quickly. A 5 gallon BBQ cylinder (I have three on hand) will last a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.