Propane tank 1/4inch. thick [anybody else ever see one like this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ozzie88

May 13, 2011
maine
I am makeing a hot water DHW tank for a friend and went to get a tank at scrap yard. Well they weight it was 248lbs, WOW I thought, it only 57 gallons. I got it home cut top off for coils to go in and seen the walls are 1/4 thick. Just other ones I made out of 120 gallons were alot thinner.Heck I should have made a boiler out of it.

Attachments

• 144.JPG
    144.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 1,661
Yea mine are that way and I have 2 500 gal tanks I think they use scedual 40 pipe and weld on the ends

A 1000 gal tank, same thing.

My 500 gallon tanks' walls are 5/16" thick on the cylindrical parts and the spherical ends are 9/32". Rated to withstand 250lbs. pressure @ 300F.

I don't think they are unusually thicker than normal.

Oh, I have couple of 85 and 120 gal. tanks I used and they are no were as thick as this one, maybe there the cheap ones?? I just did not know there was such a difference in the tanks I guess, Thanks

Smaller tank = less surface area= thinner steel can be used. All for the same pressure rating.

TS

Status
Not open for further replies.