Propane tank criteria for water storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

headrc

Mar 28, 2008
MidEast Tennessee
So now that I feel I am beginning to understand how to pipe in a pressurized propane tank for storage ......what issues should I watch out for in acquiring a propane tank for this purpose? It looks like I may have an option to choose between a couple but would like to be educated on technical aspects that I need to watch out for .... Thx again, RH

I suppose there are some technical aspects to look for -- I didn't, trusted the local LP dealer that the tank being sold me was in good condition, and it was. Not exactly technical, but
-- these things are heavy. My 1000 gal tank exceeds 2000 lbs.
-- they can be big -- mine is 19' long, 3' diameter.
-- although mine was quite clean on the inside, I suppose some might not be.
-- the steel interior was permeated with Mercaptan, and it really stinks. Try to find a way to clean it outside before you bring it inside, as the smell does not go away and sticks to anything that water leaked from the tank touches.
-- maybe take a look at the fittings to make sure they are not corroded shut.

How do you clean out the inside of the tank? Just run water through it? My tank will be in a newly built boiler room ....which will be adjacent to some new living area in an outbuilding I intend to build. I have even entertained putting the tank outside the boiler room in its own small she and insulating that shed heavily. I don't know what mercapten is but of course I do not want any undesirable smell getting into any of the living quarters. As always your guidance is much appreciated ...RH

Thx Jim ....so after reading that thread ....how did you get rid of the mercapten smell? My plan again is to have the tank in a boiler room ....and in that room I will enclose it and insulate it wel. I could also put it right outside of the boiler room and build an enclosure around it and insulate well. Does the smell emit from the radiant heat throughout whatever space you heat? Or is it more localized ...obviously if my living quarters ends up smelling like rotten eggs than a propane tnak is not a solution I wil go with. I cannot believe this happens because you as well as others are using these tanks for storage. I hope to get the tank within the next month if I proceed on puttin in the system ....is the answer just to leave the openings on the tank uncovered outside before enclosing it and let it air out ...then plumb the tank it later this summer before I start firing the system up in the fall? Thx again, RH

The mercaptan is permeated into the surface of the steel on the inside of the tank. Follow the info and do what you can while the tank is outside to remove as much as possible. And then when you get it inside minimize any openings to the air to prevent any remainder from escaping into the structure, and be very careful not leak any water from the tank on any surface, as it will carry the mercaptan which also will permeate into any surface the water touches. At that point only months of time will get rid of the smell. Also, if water from the tank gets on your clothes, it will take more than a wash or two to get it out.

I'm sounding draconian because you want to do everything possible from keeping this smell out of places where you don't want it. I out of ignorance did not do what I didn't realize I had to do, and fortunately the tank is in my shop, not the house, and I'm living with the residue. Maybe by this time next year it will be gone.

Addendum - it will stay inside a sealed tank and sealed plumbing, but you don't want a leak or spill.

Status
Not open for further replies.