Propane tank tappings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chuck172

Minister of Fire
Apr 24, 2008
Sussex County, NJ
Does a 500 gallon propane tank have at least 4 existing tappings that can be bushed to 1 1/4"? Welding on an old tank scares the hell out of me.

chuck172 said:
Does a 500 gallon propane tank have at least 4 existing tappings that can be bushed to 1 1/4"? Welding on an old tank scares the hell out of me.

My gas guy told me depending on the manufacturer the holes will vary, mine had an 1 1/4, 1 inch and a 3/4 with a 3/4 drain on the bottom.

The problem using the taps on the top of my tank in my case was they weren't tapered threads, that are the threads that are used with black iron fittings. They are straight threads on my tank. We screwed in 4 inch nipples until they bottomed out and I have a welder that builds air tanks locally who said he would weld a bead around the nipples then those nipples will be capped and unused (except the 1 1/4). I also am having him weld on 2) 1 1/4 pipes as the cold water dip tubes on either end too.

Rob

I really don't want to weld on a propane tank. I didn't work all these years to retire and blow myself up in the back yard. The mercaptain issue stinks (get-it!)
Plus if and when I sell the house, you know the new buyers will frown on having an old out of commission hydrogen bomb in the basement.
I was hoping Tarm would come through with some type of solution. What a letdown.
There must be tanks on the market that will work. Tarm is now saying that 450 pressurized gallons of storage is enough. Anybody have any ideas?
I'll go the propane tank way if I have to. I just would rather not.

chuck172 said:
I really don't want to weld on a propane tank. I didn't work all these years to retire and blow myself up in the back yard. The mercaptain issue stinks (get-it!)
Plus if and when I sell the house, you know the new buyers will frown on having an old out of commission hydrogen bomb in the basement.
I was hoping Tarm would come through with some type of solution. What a letdown.
There must be tanks on the market that will work. Tarm is now saying that 450 pressurized gallons of storage is enough. Anybody have any ideas?
I'll go the propane tank way if I have to. I just would rather not.

450 would be "enough" but more is better. look at the systems in Europe they are not using thousands of gal. If you can weld good you should have no problems. Fill with water and weld and you will be safe.

Rob

Chuck, Taxidermist has it right. Fill them with water. Level them up carefully on hard ground or timbers so there is no gas pocket lurking in the high end and get out the garden hose. When you drain the water back out any small bubbles of propane left get diluted out in that 500 gal of air. Still going to stink, yes. Don't dump the water over your well. The old husbands tale that propane or gasoline will seep out of the "pores" of the steel and blow up in your face is just not true. This is the standard procedure of the propane pros.

Thats how I intended to do the job, and it probably will be O.K.- Probably!
I've worked as a steamfitter/welder in chemical plants for my whole life. When we weld on vessels and piping , we call safety, they flush the lines (or tanks) with water, test the atmosphere. Then we would purge with nitrogen. Safety would take Oxygen readings and sometimes it was still too dangerous.
This is nothing to play around with. When the time comes to drop your hood, and strike the arc. say a "Hail Mary"
I'd really like to buy new, but if I have to I'll go the propane tank route.

Talk to leaddog he just welded 4 tanks for his son by filling it with water and he is still with us. Or You can fly me to your place I will purge the tank tell you it is ok just like you safety guys at work if it would make you feel better.LOL!!!!!

Rob

Yeah O.k. But you have to stand right next to me while I strike the arc.

I've used dry ice to purge gasoline tanks to braze up leaks. Bust up a block and put it in the tank and braze it next morning. Don't want to think how much enough dry ice to do a 500 gal propane tank would cost. Price of water suits my budget.

There are many ways to do it that will most likely work. The right way is with a Nitrogen purge and an sniff test with the right instruments.

Status
Not open for further replies.