Propane Tank

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chuck172

Minister of Fire
Apr 24, 2008
Sussex County, NJ
How hard is it to get a 1000 or 2-500 gallon propane tank? When you ask a propane co. (I will tomorrow) if they sell them without their propane, do they look at you like you have two heads.

I've tried to buy one from local propane vendors... they won't do it.

You will likely find one for sale on Craig's list.... typical prices for a used propane tank is about $1.00 per gallon capacity. If you buy one new from a manufacturer expect to pay $2-4.00 per gallon capacity.

Chuck,
I made an inquiry last week that I think will pan out. What size are you looking for, and can you pick it up?

Chris

I'm not sure about anything concerning storage yet. Just looking into all the options. You're not too far from me, did you find a dealer or private sale?

I bought 6 500's several years ago new they were 2$ a gallon couple were new rest were couple years old.

If anyone is interested, I found a couple contacts for propane tanks . The man who sells them will also modify them. the "summer " prices are $625 for 1000gal, $ 275 for 500gal. They are located in PA.

Chuck,
I found used LP tanks through a propane co.

Chris

verne2-Where in Pa.
Chris S- I'm gonna check local today, Can you let me know the name of the Co.?

verne2.....where is PA? I may be interested.

Bob,

Verne2 is most likely talking about this place:

This is where I’m getting my tank. Here is a picture of some of his tanks.

Attachments

• t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 2,620
I think that scan of the business card may have been too small to read. Try this one.

Attachments

• fisher.jpg
    fisher.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 2,913
Ron is right . he gave me the connection . also there is a place called tank solutions farther west . they gave me a price of $400 ( 1000).too far for me to travel. I called every propane supply locally and couldn't find any.

If anyone calls Mr. Fisher for a price on a tank you should know that he will likely quote you the price for a refurbished tank. After hearing that price, I told him that the tank I needed would only be used to store hot water. I also told him it didn’t too much matter what it looked like because once I had it completely insulated it would be hidden from sight. He gave me a price of $650.00 for a non-refurbished tank. If the tank I get has a lot of paint flaking off I will probably go ahead and remove any loose paint and paint it myself just to cover any bare steel. I am also having him modify the tank so that I can place my DHW coil inside. There is another place near St. Thomas Pa (17252) that has some tanks. They quoted me $1000.00 for a used tank but they may have cheaper ones too. That place is called Wit-Lane Tanks and Containment and there number is (717)369-5320. Once I found out about Fisher Services I didn’t even go look at the tanks at Wit-Lane.
Here are some of Mr. Fisher’s non-refurbished tanks.

Ron

Attachments

• t2.jpg
    t2.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 2,224
Farther west may be closer to me....can you tell me who and where?

Bob,

I’m not familiar with the place that verne2 is talking about in western Pa. Both of the places that I found are in the south central part of Pa. Obviously it did not make sense for me to search out suppliers that were any further away. Maybe he will chime back in here and provide you with a contact and number for that place.

Ron

To all interested in Propane Tanks. Do a search here on the odor the tanks give off. Might be something to consider. Also Tarm may be putting out a pressurized tank soon. The way I understand it will have to be taller to get through doorways. You would need an eight foot ceiling.

chuck172 said:
To all interested in Propane Tanks. Do a search here on the odor the tanks give off. Might be something to consider. Also Tarm may be putting out a pressurized tank soon. The way I understand it will have to be taller to get through doorways. You would need an eight foot ceiling.

Any possibility there is a price and time frame for this? I'm trying to source a propane tank at the moment and have had limited success.

Bob,

I have been assuming all along that you are in Muncy Pa. If that is the case my man in Loysville is much closer to you than Tank Solutions in Smock (according to Mapquest). But, if you can get a good enough price from Tank Solutions, it may be worth the extra mileage.

Ron

Hi Just reading this thread ....interesting, I am also looking a some sort of storage solution but propane tanks in Ontario are hard to locate. I have found a 500 gallon galvanized tank. My question can a galvanized tank be used in a pressurized system. Or will I need to isolate it from the boiler metals? Sorry to change the subject a bit.

Ron....yes, very close to Muncy. A trip to Loysville would give me reason to stop in and see my daughter too. Appears to be much closer than Smock so there would have to be a big difference in price esp. with the cost of gas!

This is my first post I am just starting to plan my system. I have a 2000 Sq Ft house and a 1500 Sq Ft greenhouse. I am currently looking at EKO with storage. I think I can find a propane tank here some where. I am planning on putting my EKO in an unheated and uninsulated workshop and want to know what kind of insulation and what type of modifications are need to the tank. Will I need to insulate the EKO? Where in Louisville are you looking at the tanks?
Mike

I may have located a re-furbished 500 gallon propane tank. Possibly 2 for 950.00 each. I have to pick-up. Just wondering, They are 10' long, weigh about 1000pds. I have a 1/2ton F-150 short bed pick-up. With the tailgate down the bed length is about 8', Can do the 1000#'s. Should work out O.K right? Anyone ever pick one up before?

Status
Not open for further replies.