Propane Tanks for storage - Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

antos_ketcham

Mar 5, 2008
So here are the questions -

Can propane tanks be used as storage outdoors (w/glycol) and can they be used as part of an open system?

Pete

Pete Antos-Ketcham said:

Can propane tanks be used as storage outdoors (w/glycol) and can they be used as part of an open system?

Pete

I have no actual knowledge, but that hasn't stopped me yet....

First, if they're outdoors you will have to insulate then very well. In that case, glycol wouldn't be necessary. Good thing, since that much glycol would be pretty expensive. I figured out that I could go all winter without adding heat to my outside storage and it still wouldn't freeze.

Second, propane tanks are steel. I assume that means that they'll rust if exposed to oxygen-bearing water. Open systems provide a continual supply of fresh oxygen. My system is open, but the tank is stainless (half a milk bulk tank). The 'open' water stays in the tank and does not circulate.

Pete Antos-Ketcham said:
Pete

Ditto on the outdoors - a 50/50 glycol mix on a large quantity of storage would be unreasonably expensive. Open system would work, but would have to use appropriate boiler chemical to scavenge oxygen and be sure to balance PH (8-9 or so). You might consider an open/very low pressure like some of the OWB's that use a weighted vent to limit air access, results in 2-3 psi or so. I think most OWB's are open systems and they seem to last reasonably well. Also consider a filter screen to block any crud, I think 100 micron should be OK. Leave sufficient space in the tank for expansion.

If you're going to put your tank outside you can get away w/ a 30% glycol solution that will offer freeze protection to 0, burst protection to -20. Under the most severe winter conditions, when you stop circulating the water/glycol loop, the glycol mixture just turns to slush, usually will not freeze solid. If you're doing an outside tank most cases you're circulating continously.

The thing about glycol is it requires more energy to heat the water & transfer it's thermal energy so the less glycol the better.

Pete Antos-Ketcham said:
Anyone know a source for propane tanks and coils to go in them?

Pete

Saw a 1000 gallon one on Craigs list a few weeks ago for $500. You would have had to go to Syracuse, NY to get it. Usually I see that you can expect top pay about $1 per gallon. The coils can be made and there are many,many threads on this site that will show how others have done it.
Good luck Pete.
Gary

Pete Antos-Ketcham said:
Anyone know a source for propane tanks and coils to go in them? Pete

Skip the coil and go with a plate hx.

Status
Not open for further replies.