Propane torch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not me. I will admit a few times starting a cold stove & liner with serious down pressure. Smoked the living out a tad, but I always loved the smell of burnt wood. Adds to the rustic ambiance.

Damn double posts !@#$%^&(())__*&^$#@@$'N aaaaRGH

I haven't used one for lighting the stove... yet... but I suppose this will be my first full season with it.

I find that propane torches work great for lighting fireworks at cookouts though! Much better than grill lighters!

-SF

Glad you mentioned that. I need to go get a couple cans of propane. I use a weed torch. Works like a charm. Still use my paper bags of wood shavings from the shop for kindling but lots of times, I just don't have any and instead of messing with paper. I throw my smallest pieces near the front of the stove and turn the torch on them till I have something burning. It really does work well.

Just not green enough for me. I only ever use two sticks rubbed together. I've crafted a small bow for this purpose, and I wind the string around one stick and hold that ~vertically with one end in a slight depression of the other stick, which is laid horizontally on the hearth in front of my stove. I loosely surround the intersection of the sticks with carefully selected very dry small tinder, and when I've rotated the vertical stick with gentle downward force sufficiently, smoke begins to rise from the tinder. I blow ever so gently on this embryonic fire until a flame appears, then I carefully transfer this bottom stick/tinder fire into the firebox of my stove, in which I previously constructed a small teepee of kindling with an opening in the front into which I can insert the warmth-bringing fire-child. Then I wait, and while the fire grows, I give thanks, and I chant the ancient chants, and as the fire grows even more I rise to my feet and begin to dance the ancient dances and recite the songs of loading the splits. If none of that works, I crumple up a boatload of newspaper, toss in a couple handfuls of splitter trash, 3 or 4 small splits, and hit it with a butane lighter. Rick

I contribute to acid rain by using those old sulfur smelling box matches.

I use a propane torch to start brush fires though.

fossil said:
Just not green enough for me. I only ever use two sticks rubbed together. I've crafted a small bow for this purpose, and I wind the string around one stick and hold that ~vertically with one end in a slight depression of the other stick, which is laid horizontally on the hearth in front of my stove. I loosely surround the intersection of the sticks with carefully selected very dry small tinder, and when I've rotated the vertical stick with gentle downward force sufficiently, smoke begins to rise from the tinder. I blow ever so gently on this embryonic fire until a flame appears, then I carefully transfer this bottom stick/tinder fire into the firebox of my stove, in which I previously constructed a small teepee of kindling with an opening in the front into which I can insert the warmth-bringing fire-child. Then I wait, and while the fire grows, I give thanks, and I chant the ancient chants, and as the fire grows even more I rise to my feet and begin to dance the ancient dances and recite the songs of loading the splits. If none of that works, I crumple up a boatload of newspaper, toss in a couple handfuls of splitter trash, 3 or 4 small splits, and hit it with a butane lighter. Rick

Where is the link to your video so we can see this in action :shut:

Use a propane torch to light my back up propane heater pilot light. Works great and saves on the old wooden matches which I use for the wood stoves in the house and in the garage.
Ed

i use one of these

TL0643.jpg

Just not green enough for me. I only ever use two sticks rubbed together. I've crafted a small bow for this purpose, and I wind the string around one stick and hold that ~vertically with one end in a slight depression of the other stick, which is laid horizontally on the hearth in front of my stove. I loosely surround the intersection of the sticks with carefully selected very dry small tinder, and when I've rotated the vertical stick with gentle downward force sufficiently, smoke begins to rise from the tinder. I blow ever so gently on this embryonic fire until a flame appears, then I carefully transfer this bottom stick/tinder fire into the firebox of my stove, in which I previously constructed a small teepee of kindling with an opening in the front into which I can insert the warmth-bringing fire-child. Then I wait, and while the fire grows, I give thanks, and I chant the ancient chants, and as the fire grows even more I rise to my feet and begin to dance the ancient dances and recite the songs of loading the splits.

That makes my panning for flint stones to start a fire seem...archaic.

If none of that works, I crumple up a boatload of newspaper, toss in a couple handfuls of splitter trash, 3 or 4 small splits, and hit it with a butane lighter.

OR I use that method...sans butane lighter. I'm a "scratch anywhere match" kinda guy :coolsmile:

Thats what I used to use to get the paper going until I found these nice firestarters that even have a match tip on them. They work great and I don't even need any paper. Just kindling and a couple logs.

fossil said:

Yeah, we definately need a YouTube link to that one!

I don't have electricity. Rick

fossil said:
I don't have electricity. Rick

You just need to get yourself a couple of ferrets, a cage wheel, some magnets and some copper wire. In business!

karl said:
With my old fireplace, yes.

With the new stove, no. If you need a torch with a wood stove, your wood is wet.

Its not a matter of NEED. Its a matter of having a raging fire in 5 minutes vs. 5 seconds! :)
I always use a propane torch for cold starts. That and a small chunk of wax firelog (bought a case of them a couple years ago, cut them into chunks with a circular saw, hundreds of dirt cheap fire starters. Sure you can start any fire starter, newspaper, or kindling, with just one match or a lighter, but a torch is so much more fun! Plus you can light bigger stuff easily, with no newspaper required.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91061
(I wouldn't store it right next to the stove though)

I'm thinking that for a quick startup from cold, I'll try an ignited chunk of starter under a little kindling and a few splits, then cut in the Nitrous Oxide injection system for a few seconds. :coolgrin: Rick

I use a harbor freight micro torch http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=42099

7 bucks ( I think I got mine on sale for $5) Push-button light and refillable. Either that or a "long reach" butane candle lighter. But those seem to be getting harder to find in the refillable form. Otherwise they run $3+ a pop for disposable :(

I should say I haven't used a torch in ages. One match is my rule. (actually, I'm working on no matches). But, if your wood got wet or something, a nice MAPP torch gets it going much quicker.

cmonSTART said:
Ok, admit it. Who's ever used a propane torch to start their fire?

:raises hand:

Silly and childish! Ever heard of dry kindling?? :cheese:

I use a piece of sawdust/wax firestarter, a little kindling and some good dry wood to have things roaring in about 15 minutes. I think I only had to do this about a dozen times last year and never between December and March. You don't have to light the stove if it is burning 24/7 ;-)

I had a problem with downdrafts on our old insert with the outside chimney. I could usually get it going by sticking some burning newspaper up the flue. One very cold day, I got desperate after my trick backfired and hit the flue with an air/acetylene torch. It did turn that backdraft right around and became SOP on a cold start from then on. I'm glad I don't have to do that anymore...

Chris

I use a propane torch sometimes. Like when the wife has used up all the firestarter chunks. I also keep one in the camper for starting a campfire on those rainy days. Place the torch flame on a clump of tinder, have some coffee under my awning (staying dry) and in 5 minutes the campfire is up and running.

If that don't work, then I break out the diesel fuel. KD

Status
Not open for further replies.