Propane Usage Tracker - Baseline

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelManley

Aug 9, 2012
New Hampshire
So for kicks and giggles I decided to see if I'm *really* saving money with the wood stove that I installed in August 2012. I created a baseline in Excel based on my invoices from my propane delivery company.

I don't know when my next LP delivery is scheduled but it will be interesting to see how much the wood stove hedges the LP consumption.

This will also help me gauge when "payback" is achieved (although this doesn't include the cost of wood).

Enjoy.

Attachments

• LP.png
    LP.png
    17.5 KB · Views: 143
Nice graph. I can tell my propane usage is now zero. I haven't bought propane for 18 months and my tank is still 70% full

Nice graph.
I'll not be able to help, my last fill was Sept.-2010. Still over half full.
Keep track, you'll save money.

What is propane going for these days anyway?

We've had to turn on the furnace a few times due to it being too warm for the woodstove, but gotta get a little warmer in the house.....I can tell ya, that our other house was running about 250 gallons a month for the winter months.....this house, which is 500 sq. ft. bigger, and has an insert, runs us an average of 170 gallons a year....gotta be mostly for hot water....yup, savin' $$$

Last delivery was $2.89/gallon. The other deliveries where $2.99 (first delivery when we moved in to our new place last year), $3.09 and $3.19.

Wow! at an average of 3.04 a gallon It would cost me 600-700 a month to keep warm. I used roughly 220-250 gallons a month before I went to wood.
If I burn for only 5 months I save 3K I would say that is a significant savings for my household.

Status
Not open for further replies.