Propane usage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredo

Nov 24, 2011
Mi
I use around 5 percent of propane a week during winter. 5 percent is equal to 25 gallons of propane and if you multiply the two it comes out to 54.75 a week, 219. 00 a month.

Being that I am getting face cords of ash for 30 dollars I hope to safe money on heating costs. ;-)

When I was on the pane I used about 10% a week(500 gallon tank) during the cold and a little more during the really cold stuff. A few years back I spent 1400 or so over a 10 week period, I was done with it after this. I was on the auto fill program which had them coming out every 5 weeks. I filled the tank last year in November and I'm hanging around 25% right now. I'll probably bring them out soon, they want to bring a smaller tank, if they want to do the work that's fine by me. :lol:

Where are you getting ash for 30 a face cord? It's hardly worth me picking up a saw and running the splitter for that.

Fredo said:
I use around 5 percent of propane a week during winter. 5 percent is equal to 25 gallons of propane and if you multiply the two it comes out to 54.75 a week, 219. 00 a month.

Being that I am getting face cords of ash for 30 dollars I hope to safe money on heating costs. ;-)

90 bucks a cord is a bargain! I pay $185.00 a cord csd and feel that is a good price.. Is that stove installed yet and do you have pics?

Ray

Ray,

Long time no hear from. I have stove up and running, I love the metal beast and have some pics, but I have to sit my butt down and figure out how to upload them to Hearth? :roll:

As for ash, it is an AWESOME price per face cord. It's is really great looking wood. Even Dennis mentioned that "I done well."
If Dennis says that I know that I am on the right track. The mans a Burning Guru!

So, my friend Raybonz, I will try with all me heart and get those pictures posted before I start a riot here at hearth. You guys take pictures very seriously ;-)

Fredo

My propane is almost $5000 a year. Not this year. So far the heat hasn't been on yet. Got 500 gal sitting in an underground tank and Amerigas sending ME a check for $415 that was sitting in their coffers from my budget plan. Budget plan? Is that an oxymoron?

Fredo said:
Ray,

Long time no hear from. I have stove up and running, I love the metal beast and have some pics, but I have to sit my butt down and figure out how to upload them to Hearth? :roll:

As for ash, it is an AWESOME price per face cord. It's is really great looking wood. Even Dennis mentioned that "I done well."
If Dennis says that I know that I am on the right track. The mans a Burning Guru!

So, my friend Raybonz, I will try with all me heart and get those pictures posted before I start a riot here at hearth. You guys take pictures very seriously ;-)

Fredo

Fredo I use this free program for resizing pics I upload here.. All you do is go to the folder where your pics are located and pick the ones you want to resize (hold Ctrl key down to select multiple pics) then right click selected pics.. Now a menu box pops up, select resize pics, I find medium works well here then the program creates copies of the original pic (providing you select this in the program) and leaves the original intact.. The medium sized pics are the same name as the original but has the word "medium" added to the file name.. Voila it's that simple! Then when you want to post the pics you select upload pic(s) then find the pic then upload.. To upload multiple pics click preview post then add another pic etc.. Here is the program:

http://www.onthegosoft.com/shrink_pic.htm

Ray

Hey Fred, your gonna really enjoy the savings not to mention the house is warmer. Your east of me and I've been out to some friends in Davison before getting ash. Great wood , can be found cheap, and seems like there's an endless supply.

I did a fundraiser with my daughters youth group at church a few years ago. I convinced them to sell firewood. I cut and all the kids split and stacked 18 face cords of ash. Sold it all as fast as we could get it at $40 a face cord. Not a bad take and sure did beat trying to sell candy bars!

I use propane for dryer, furnace and water heater. This year has been a warm fall so we did run the furnace on those warmer days.

I also cut back on my propane usage. I have hot water tank and furnace on propane. I swear, I think my wife been kicking the furnace on when I go to work. Like to wiring up some kind of cattle shocker to it so I can catch her.

Wishlist,

Even though temps have been mild, I have been using my Osburn since I had it installed on Tuesday. I want to run my stove so i can learn its ways and my Propane furnace hasn't kicked on once, sweet!

My family loves the warm, cozy heat. My stove is rated to heat up to 2100sq ft. My house is only 1500 sq ft and it does a wonderful job. With ceiling fan on, it distributes warm air nicely.

As for my ash man, I told him to keep it coming. With my back issue I am at the mercy of others for the time being. As soon as I get back on my feet, God Willing, there is a ton of wood in lapeer county Michigan that I can go scrounging for.

I noticed under your signature that you have 1 teenage daughter that knows it all. Well, I have a 10 year old daughter that thinks she wrote the Book of Life! I remind her on a daily bases that she lives in my KINGDOM and I am KING. It's great being King! As for my wife she is a good old polish girl. We are high school sweethearts that have been married for 21 years. Wow, where have all the years gone?

Fredo

Raybonz,

Thanks for the info. Finally, I can get those pics posted.

Fredo

Woodmiser,

OMG! 5000 for Propane. I think you just gave me a heart attack! You even gave my little polish wife/accountant a heart attack and she is in the other room!

What were you trying to heat? :bug:

Fredo

$90 a cord (anyone on this board with more than two posts to his credit should not ever use the term "face cord.") is a great deal. How much wood do you burn a week? Anything more than half a cord a week looks like you'll be coming out ahead.

I'm at the other extreme with propane. We have a 300 gallon tank that lasts us well over three YEARS! The only thing that the propane feeds is our 1940s era Chambers Stove and the outdoor grill. Other than that we are all electric. (Biggest user year round are two 40 gallon hot water heaters.) We heat almost 100% with wood though. We have rarely turned our two heat pumps on in the past three years or so. I fire up the stove if the overnight lows are in the low 40s or below. Our VC Vigilant does a great job of keeping almost 4000 square feet very comfortable. I feed it well seasoned oak. I've got four types of oak on our land and a three year supply built up. Free heat is the best of all! Still, we only go through about a cord and a half a year- at most.

Much different down here in east central Texas (west of Houston) than up in Michigan.

Kenster,

I just got my stove installed this past Tuesday. I have a little way to go to figure how much wood I will be burning. We are experiencing mild temps in michigan, so until temps begin to drop, I wont know. All I know is my living space thermostate has been reading in the low 70s since I started stove up, nice...

Fredo

Fredo said:
Kenster,

I just got my stove installed this past Tuesday. I have a little way to go to figure how much wood I will be burning. We are experiencing mild temps in michigan, so until temps begin to drop, I wont know. All I know is my living space thermostate has been reading in the low 70s since I started stove up, nice...

Fredo

At least you're getting your cords before the hearth.

Lots of people get their stoves installed and then think..."hmmm....I'm going to need some wood."

Kenster, I figure in cords but you would be hard pressed to find anybody in mid Michigan who doesn't advertise "face cord". Personally, it doesn't matter to me. It's all Heat!

Enjoy the warmth Fred. I'm currently burning some box elder and other "who knows what" softwood. It really works nice in these 30's temps. Megan, my daughter, is on cloud 9 today. She just got accepted to U OF M . Still hasn't made her mind up tho. ;)

Hey, U of M is a great school. We wish her well.

Wishlist,

Congratulations concerning your daughter and U of M. Like I am telling my teenage son that is a freshman in Highschool, INPUT = OUTPUT.

We are enjoying our new stove and the nice, warm, radiant heat that it produces. It is so nice not having to run propane furnace...

Here Finally is a picture of my Osburn 2000.

Fredo

Attachments

• phpQdEkiZPM-2.jpg
    phpQdEkiZPM-2.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 359
Fredo said:
Finally a pick of my Osburn 2ooo

Nope no pic there Fredo..

Ray

My first curing fire in my Osburn 2000

Fredo

Attachments

• phpIGUOtvPM.jpg
    phpIGUOtvPM.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 357
Looks awesome Fredo! Congrats! Did you use that pic program I posted the link to?

Ray

Ray,

Yes, I went online and resized picture of my stove and thanks Ray for giving me that information. I will try and download a few more pictures soon...
Just woke up after fallen asleep in front of my burning Osburn. Who says that humans cant volunteer themselves to be roasted like Marshmallows? I just did and I love it...

Fredo

Attachments

• phpcvnMMVPM.jpg
    phpcvnMMVPM.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 314
raybonz,

Ray, this is some of the Ash that I purchased last week... I am having an additional 10-12 face cord delivered after the holidays. I cant pass this stuff up...

Fredo

Attachments

• php4NxDUrPM.jpg
    php4NxDUrPM.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 291
Fredo,
Your stove really looks nice and toasty! Do you have a blower on it too? I find it makes a big difference on the T-5.. Your firewood looks good to me and I can see you understand to get it now for next year.. I try to stay at least one year ahead and Dennis and Zap stay 25 years ahead lol.. Thanx for posting the great pics and I can relate to dozing off when sitting near the wood stove!

Ray

Ray

I do have a blower on my stove but I really don't have to use it. My living space ceiling fan does an excellent job distributing stove heat.

The way my family loves heating with the new stove, I have a funny feeling I will be burning through the 11 face cords of wood that I just bought pretty quick. The true test will come when the mild temps that we are experiencing start to plummet and it REALLY gets cold outside!

Right now the wife has the families washed clothes drying next to our Osburn on a collapsible clothes rack. If anyone doesn't want to pay for electricity and propane costs it is her. If she had her way she would draw a clothes line from across the living room!

Fredo

Status
Not open for further replies.