Propane vs Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

turbulator

Dec 2, 2011
Western PA
Anyone know the equivalent LB of Propane to LB of Pellet or some unit conversion I could use to calculate an equivalent usage of propane to what I am using in pellets?

I have some maths to do... My system is killing me in fuel usage....I am considering dropping in a propane boiler either in place or for supplemental. I have propane backup forced air, but propane pricing is all over the map...however pellets are high this year. Been running a pellet/corn mix but still using too much fuel - 2.65 tons average so far per month....way too much.

Blah.... Maybe it's my boiler? I always thought the Tarm HS systems were top notch..... This house is old, but was completely remodeled 20 years ago. gutted. Its insulated, not drafty. The whole place is now properly zoned - 5 to be exact. probably heating 3k square feet... I have a Harman Accentra insert that I haven't installed yet in my addition - not sure that'll help or just make it all seem more expensive lol....

The boiler is 149k btu... Wonder how a Harman PB105 would do in its place?

How big is your house? If it's less than 3500 sq ft you need to be looking at insulation and making it more air tight. The cost of insulation pays back much faster than you might think. Just my opinion.
Ron

I'm heating a 2400 sq. ft. colonial with a 900 sq. ft. apartment over the garage and DHW for both and I averaged 108 pounds a day. In my previous house I had a PB 105 and that was 2000 sq. ft with DHW sidearm and I averaged 120 pounds a day with that. I think the PB 105 might be under powered for 3500 sq. ft since it's only rated for 105k BTU.

Roughly 3k square feet. It was remodeled 20 years ago...completely gutted...insulated, new windows. The original house is wrapped in wormy chestnut, then wood siding, then insulbrick, then tyvek, then vinyl siding... I suppose the original insulation could have sagged by now? But how do you tell? The windows are Certainteed replacements - floor-to-ceiling models. It would be cheaper to buy a new house than to replace them again lol.

WP_20140406_004_zps093dd854.jpg

Last edited:
Thermal imaging camera can tell hot spots etc and is almost a must have when a good energy audit is done.

Reactions: turbulator
Thermal imaging camera can tell hot spots etc and is almost a must have when a good energy audit is done.
Huh you know what I need one for the shop anyway....they are big bucks but I need one for testing industrial equipment....I guess I'll have to look into it further.

I know someone who rents camera lenses online for specialized photo shoots or events and I believe they rent thermals also. I know on a camera lens that might be 10k to purchase he rents for like 40 and does the shoot and sends it back.

I had a energy audit done years ago and the guy that did it emailed me the images of the house and it made a huge difference knowing where to focus and what to work on. Between the information gathered with the thermal camera and his cfm flow hood on returns registers and recessed lights I dropped my energy usage considerably.

Last edited:
There is no disputing where attention needs to be focused. If windows are leaking or poorly insulated the contrast is huge. Even places that aren't insulated quite as well show or are leaking air. I had a couple windows that the gas had leaked out of and the glass itself showed a different color than the adjacent window. The next winter they were both sweating when the others were not. I had them both resealed and refilled with argon.

I really considered renting one and gathering a company specializing in windows and another in insulating and sealing and starting a part time business doing thermal audits for DIY'rs or anyone just wanting to save money on energy bills and still do.

Status
Not open for further replies.