Proper Air Control For PE Summit Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coldinclev

Jan 12, 2015
Cleveland
As a newbe to owning an insert as well as this forum I have a question about air control. The manual that comes with this insert is very vague on this. As a new owner you tend to worry about overfiring the stove and damaging a very costly investment. There is really no place on the summit to put a magnetic thermometer so I hit the casing around the top of the door as well as glass with an IR thermometer. I run the air control wide open until logs are really cooking (15 -20 min). Then I turn the control down until flames are tamed. Sometimes 75%. I've even run it all the way off. Can anyone shed some light on this. I would really appreciate it.
Thanks

It is a learning process,,, no if and's or buts

Many variables including chimney performance--> interior vs exterior, height of chimney, outside temperature, size of splits, moisture content of fuel, species of wood, amount of coals remaining when reloading to name a few.

Rather than trying to make it overly scientific with IR thermometers etc. I typically just load up the stove, open the air control, set a timer for ~10 mins, reduce the air if the fuel looks like it is ignited. Then shut down the air completely a few mins later. I have a tall interior chimney and after the first yr of burning marginally seasoned wood,now have dry wood, 100% locust. As you will see from subsequent posts, dry well seasoned wood is key to these stoves.

I don't have an insert, but a similar firebox.

Status
Not open for further replies.