Proper Damper Operation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 24, 2008
Northern Indiana
First, I'd like to say thanks to all you awesome people who've answered my questions in the past. You've been a big help...

So I installed a damper on my PE spectrum with the huge chimney and it's helped a lot to control the fire. I was getting some major overdraft and things are way better now. Now i'm concerned about the other side of my draft problem. I don't want to cause creosote troubles with this damper so I was wondering how you guys operate it? I find myself leaving it completely closed and controling the fire with the air control on the stove. This seems to make all my temps quite a bit higher, even flue gasses downstream of the damper. I'm assuming this is due to the slowing of the gasses due to lesser draft. Is this a good way to go or should I keep the damper open and use it as a last resort?? I'm trying to not overthink things but it always seems like someone has really simple suggestion for even the simplest things that always makes a lot of sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.