Proper damper placement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ckarotka

Minister of Fire
Sep 21, 2009
Northwest PA on the lake
I have a Quadra fire model 400. It's a small stove but I think after I found all the air leaks it performs great for it's small fire box. I also have a total of around 15ft of flue and 5.5ft of it is single wall pipe. I've installed a damper about 2.5ft above the stove in the black pipe. I can't remember why I choose this location, it was some years ago.

The reason for the install was when I got the stove cooking I was having trouble controlling the fire, initially this worked great. I do not have any great creosote build up now or before the damper, i will just cover the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket after cleaning the flue with deposits. Now last year (nothing has changed other than wood source, mix of cherry and maple and other hard woods) it did not perform as-well.

Should I move the damper closer to the top of the unit or is there a formula for this application I should follow?

If it isn't broken, I don't know that I'd try to fix it. Generally speaking, the damper is placed right at the exit of the stove.

I'd leave the damper where it is, I don't think the location of damper was the problem, was probably the wood not as dry as the year before.

Status
Not open for further replies.