Proper flame Height for a Mt Vernon AE and other settings.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deed

Dec 22, 2007
Central Me
I've been wondering what the proper flame height should be and consideration for setting it to a different setting. The Mt Vernon AE was purchased new on 12/04/2007, it has been working great. The flame height is presently set at "0". I have option of -5 to +5.

Hope someone can give me more information. As I have read the manual which doesn't explain why I would need to change it. I may not be getting all that I can out of this stove at it's present setting.

While I'm at it I also have the temp deferential set at 1 during the cold days and 3 when it isn't so cold. I live in Central Maine we have had a colder then normal Dec and are looking at sub zero temps the next two days. Appreciate the impute.

Use the manual mode to set the maximum flame height when the thermostat it set to high. The flame should be bright and about 8" tall. Normally this only needs to be set once as long as the same brand of fuel is being burned. Readjust if you change pellet brands. Set stove back to automatic after setting the flame height.

Normally one would set the temp differential to a larger setting for very cold weather. I would try a setting of 2 or even 3 for the very cold weather. It will stop the stove from cycling on/off constantly. A setting of 1 would be more appropriate for mild weather (above 35 degrees). But depending where the thermostat is located, it might be better to leave it at 2 if you find the stove short cycles when set to 1.

The reason is the differential setting is the swing between the heat satisfied point and the needs heat temp as detected by the thermostat. In very cold weather the house is going to lose heat much more quickly. This can be compensated for by increasing the temp differential. Too small a setting will have the thermostat turning on the stove a very short time after it has stopped (temp satisfied).

On the Ae model the flame should come out of the pot and make contact with the center of the baffel the flame should roll up past the top of the baffel plate it is desinged to be taller then most.

The flame height adjust is really for different fuels from what I understand, the automatic mode will not change that setting at all, so normally you can leave it at 0. Some pellets you might get taller flames some smaller. Stoveguy pointed out about where the flame should be on the heat output 5 setting in manual mode, if it is lower or higher adjust the flame height setting accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.