Proper installation of a flue up the chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Electricquad

Dec 2, 2013
New England
I have been renting a house with a wood stove for 3 years now. It is a small Jotul F100. I had previously noticed that some of the smoke that escaped the box when I was getting the fire going would get sucked around the back of the stove and up the chimney. I didn't think much of this, but I finally got curious and shined a flashlight up the chimney. Basically it looks like whoever installed the stove stuffed a fireproof blanket around the flue where it enters the chimney. So my questions are:
1) Should the chimney still be drawing enough to pull the errant smoke in?
2) Is it standard to "seal" around the flue like this?

You need a block off plate. This will help tremendously with your energy bills and the stoves production.

What, exactly, is it that you're calling the "flue"?

Sounds like it could be a slammer install. That is when a stove or insert has a stove pipe (in the case of a stove) just stuck up inside a chimney a short distance instead of using a full length ss flex liner all the way to the top, sealed with a rain cap. I would ask the landlord when he last had the chimney swept since slammer installs can produce a lot more creosote build up than a proper installation. Also, if you only have some roxul or fiberglass insulation making a seal around the bottom of the pipe and there is a bunch of flaked off creosote laying on top of it up in the chimney you are looking at a possible disaster if you were to have a chimney fire. Picture a blast furnace shooting down into your room from the bottom of the chimney!

Status
Not open for further replies.