Proper Replacement Method for Door Gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikenr1c

Oct 22, 2006
My 6 month old Jotul 602 has a door gasket that is unraveling. The door has a gasket that goes around the perimeter and then the two ends butt together. They started to fray almost before I lit the first fire.

So my question is this. Should the dealer fix this or should I just bite the bullet and do it myself.

I have never done this. Can I just pull the old gasket rope out and press the new one into place or is there an adhesive? Are there higher quality gaskets or do I just buy what I see in home depot?

Also if I do replace this gasket how do I prevent the butt ends from fraying again.

thanks, Mike

If the door is on pins and can be removed, take it to the dealer you bought it from and let them fix it

Yes the dealer should do the repair...but

Gasket is gasket as far as i know bur some dealers may kmow better. Sape and size varies.

There is an adhesive, gasket cement.

Keep the ends as neat as you can by cutting with a very sharp knife or razor blade, add a drop of extra cement under the joint and pres the joint into the cement to set the fibers at the loose end.

Garett

G-rott said:
Yes the dealer should do the repair...but

Gasket is gasket as far as i know bur some dealers may kmow better. Sape and size varies.

There is an adhesive, gasket cement.

Keep the ends as neat as you can by cutting with a very sharp knife or razor blade, add a drop of extra cement under the joint and pres the joint into the cement to set the fibers at the loose end.

Garett

I wouldn't say "Gasket is gasket" unless you limit it to STRICTLY stove gasket, (or the equivalent on whatever else you might be fixing) - You need to get something with the same or better temperature rating and other general mechanical properties, as well as the right size / shape.

I would say that even if the dealer won't do the repair (he should IMHO) I would still start there to get a recomendation as to the right material and adhesive to use. Your adhesive techniques are excellent ideas in any case.

Gooserider

Fiberglass gasket rope is fiberglass gasket rope. When I cut mine I usually tuck the fray under the rope and glue it down.
Some very important things to consider
#1 I don't know of any stove manufacturer that warranties gasket rope
#2 Gasket rope always frays. Check your door seal around the fray, if it's tight then don't worry about it. If it's not then replace your rope.

You'll have to scrape the old gasket cement out and glue the new rope in with gasket cement. Once the rope is in take your door and put it back on your stove and close it to seat the gasket. Most gasket cement instructions will tell you to let it set for an hour or so and then cure the cement with a small fire.
If you take it to your dealer I would be ready to atleast pay for material. In a 6 month old stove I personally wouldn't charge any labor to regasket it, but since gasket rope is not covered by warranty.....

Status
Not open for further replies.