Proper stove for my house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottym

Feb 18, 2007
I live in Alberta, Canada and want to get a free standing wood stove to heat my house. I have a 1800 sq ft 4 level split home. The stove will be one floor up from the basement and is in the room we spend the most time in. The stoves I'm looking at are the Osburn 2200, 1800 or Scan 60. I want over night burn times and ebt when I'm at work. My goal is to not use the gas furnace. Also I'm concerned about getting cooked out of the room the stove is in. Which one would you recomend? We chose the stoves because of their looks and for function.

Morso 3610, dont over look this stove.

8+ hour burns with a load of Oak

Go with the biggest stove you can afford. If Osburn, not the 2200, but the 2400.

Looking at Canadian stoves... PE Summit. Rumor has it that stove will empty itself, load itself at the beginning of the season, and burn all year on one split.

But that's just a rumor... :)

Heating a 1800sq 4 level split with one stove 100% may be tuff.

What is you layout like?

I would look at bigger stoves...3cuft or more. Alberta can get #$%@ing COLD

To give you some perspective, I am heating a 1800 sqft 2 storey with a 3cuft stove. My winters here are alot milder than yours. When it gets cold -20C or less I run the stove hard.

Your layout and insulation will be the biggest factor. Very hard to heat a big house with lots of little rooms with 1 stove.

Scottym said:
Does no body have anything to say about the Osburn 2200 free standing stove?

Yes....IMO it's to small for your application. It is common practice to take 1/3 off the MFG stated sqft the stove will heat. You said your goal is to not use the furnace?

It get's mighty cold were your at, better to have more stove IMO.

My 1800 does o.k. in my home, and the 2200 is really only slightly bigger. I wish I could have fit the 2200, but if I could have I'd have put in a PE Summit or Osburn 2400, or similar LARGE stove. The 2200 does have almost all other stoves regardless of size beat on fire view. I like my Osburn.

No complaints here.

Yeppers , I agree with the others ....... go bigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.