proper temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

windowmaker2

Sep 6, 2014
ohio
I picked up an old lakewood cottager and know there is no info out there about it but was wondering what are good temps for stove top and pipe?

The object is keeping flue above 250* all the way up. So single wall connector pipe, double wall connector pipe and the run length changes the temp where it enters the chimney flue. Then the chimney material; masonry or insulated metal chimney and flue diameter determines the heat required to maintain that temp all the way up. So an insulated flue the same size as stove outlet is the easiest to heat compared to an oversize flue larger than stove outlet. Interior or exterior chimney makes a big difference as well. So the correct temp for your chimney is whatever it takes to stay above condensing point. (250*f) Notice it's all about the chimney, not the stove.
You will get to know what stove top temp is needed at different outdoor temperatures to stay comfortable.

I have a rear vent 5" x7" oval that goes to a 6" single wall tee with 8' single wall pipe then up to 6" double wall stainless steel chimney @ 16' tall. It is a free standing stove in the barn for heat when bumming around out there. Thanks for the info first time stove guy and I am looking for a starting off point but understand that there is some experimenting to be done to see what works best.

Attachments

• IMG_20140824_170531442_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20140824_170531442_HDR.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 185
Status
Not open for further replies.