Proper way to hook up exhaust?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DemonGT

Oct 19, 2011
Sparta,WI
pulled out my insert for the first time and was wondering if the exhaust was hook up correctly. it seems to just slide together, i was thinking it would have more of a
air tight seal? just looking for confirmation this is ok?

also, should the exhaust and OAK be disconnected or plugged during the summer months?

IMG_6151.jpg

IMG_6153.jpg

smoke show said:
Your insert is a direct vent?

Depending on his set-up and how his "Box" (ZC) is, a Direct vent is very possible. 1Dtml did a direct vent with his Regency. Looked great. But he rebuilt the entire Zero Clearance Box and put the appropriate non-combustibles in there.

Im looking at how close that plywood is to where the stove would be when its pushed into the cavity. And then the wood trim in the back of the box??
CTC's???

Anyways....... Done with the Code Police. Does that section twist together? The stove adapter (silver piece attached to stoves flue collar) should be attached with High Temp RTV and a few 1/4 screws. From that section on, it will twist together (depends on Make/Manufacturer) or slip.

There should be a sticker on the pipe somewhere stating if its Excel, Simpson, Etc.

Yes. Plug OAK and Exhaust during the summer. But leave a note in the hopper (empty) to remind yourself to unplug them, plug stove in, remove any moiture absorbing material (I use Damp Rid containers, one in hopper and one in ash pan). Along with any other pre-fire info. . .

im not sure what you mean by "direct vent"?

what is recommended to use to plug the exhaust and OAK? is there something
that is most commonly used? where can Damp Rid be bought and are they required if the house has
central air?

here is a shot of the exhaust and OAK on the outside of the house.

IMG_5371.jpg

DemonGT said:
im not sure what you mean by "direct vent"?

what is recommended to use to plug the exhaust and OAK? is there something
that is most commonly used? where can Damp Rid be bought and are they required if the house has
central air?

Direct vent is straight out with no rise.

Your central air will have almost no effect in the fire box.

I just use some old rags and t-shirts to plug them.

As for Damp Rid. I have Central Air also. Just an added precaution to avoid any unwanted rust. They can be found at the local Drug Stores, Dollar Stores, Wal-Mart, Etc. Pretty Cheap.

Your set-up is a direct vent. Meaning Directed straight outside. Not installed in a chimney with a liner, like a lot of inserts.

You have Simpson Pellet Vent (according to your Termination cap) it should twist together on the back of the stove? No?

Does it just "push" together? Should have to be twisted.

well...i just pulled the stove out and then took those pics...there really is no way to "twist" them together when the stove is pushed
into place. there is no way to get behind the stove unless its pulled out.

i did push the stove back into place for now until i fix the control board(different thread)
it just slide back into place but it has me wondering if the exhaust is connected properly,
and there is no way to see behind it. just seems like a poor design...why not make it so
you can install the stove first...then the shroud after the fact so you know everything is ok?
been trying to figure out a way to leave off the left side shroud piece to make sure exhaust
is connected ok but not sure how to reinstall it with out pulling stove out again

Status
Not open for further replies.