Proper way to vent through concrete wall?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdew1920

Jan 29, 2008
Michigan
Putting in a wood furnace right now. I will be using an existing clay linered chimney (7" square). There is an 8" hole already in place in the concrete foundation wall - I just need to drill a hole through the clay liner to access the chimney. The stove pipe will be 6". I was just planning on running single wall stove pipe through the existing hole to reach the chimney and just cement it in to seal it. Is this the way to do it or is there a better way? Most of what I see on going through walls deals with going through framed walls - just wondering if I was missing something on going through a concrete wall.

Thanks for any advice and have a happy Thanksgiving.

Think you should be alright. If I am reading you right, you may want to slid in a 6" clay liner to mate up with the chimney and then slide in the pipe.
Chad

Sounds fine, but I wouldn't cement it.... In case you need to remove the pipe, or anything else.... I'd just get some insulation and plug the gaps.... Stove pipe safe insulation of course!!!!

Not sure how much workin' room you have for cutting that hole in your clay liner, could be tricky.....ya don't want to crack the thing. How you plannin' on doing that anyway?

I just had a nice outside brick chimney built about 2 years ago, and I watched 'em do it. They cut the clay liner with a masonry blade, and after the clay liner was set, the clay "through the wall" thimble was mortered on the end and shoved into the cutout hole of the liner.

sounds like all you need is a hilti core drill

Status
Not open for further replies.