Proper woodstove cleaning information

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sparksalot

Aug 21, 2006
Montana
where can i go find a bunch of information on proper cleaning of my wood stove....as of now i just vacuum it out and climb up on the roof and shove my brush down...I always disconnect the pipe from the stove and wrap a bag around the end..is that necessary? do i need to take the secondary burn tubes out to inspect them?

It depends on the stove. For the F400, in addition to what you're doing I'd add:

- inspect the chimney cap screen. If it's clogging, clean it and figure out why. If the mesh is too fine, take a pair of diagonal cutters and open it up to the next size up.
- inspect the flue entry to the stove for accumulated ash, clean it out
- vacuum out the secondary ports
- inspect the gaskets carefully. Perform the dollar bill test on them to assert they are sealing well
- pop the doghouse on the primary air and vacuum it out, assert nothing blocking the air passages
- clean out all ash and remove the ashpan to clean behind it.
- if you live in a very damp climate and don't have A/C in the house, maybe spray some PAM or silicone on the inside of the stove to retard rusting.

It is a jotul castine with double doors, does jotul have a file on how to take apart the different parts of the stove to clean it? I have not been able to find one...what is the dog house?

Sparky7720 said:
It is a jotul castine with double doors, does jotul have a file on how to take apart the different parts of the stove to clean it? I have not been able to find one...what is the dog house?

The dog house is where wifey sends you if you make a mess.

That too!.

Do you have the manual? If yes, look at the exploded view of the stove. On the bigger Jotuls, it's the cover for the air control valve. In the newer stoves it is front and center, on the firebox side of the air control. There are a couple 10mm bolts that hold down the cover. If you don't get this done, I don't think it's a big deal, it would take a lot of ash in there to clog anything. The Castine needs minimal cleaning compared to some stoves.

BeGreen said:
That too!.

Do you have the manual? If yes, look at the exploded view of the stove. On the bigger Jotuls, it's the cover for the air control valve. In the newer stoves it is front and center, on the firebox side of the air control. There are a couple 10mm bolts that hold down the cover. If you don't get this done, I don't think it's a big deal, it would take a lot of ash in there to clog anything. The Castine needs minimal cleaning compared to some stoves.

The 30-NC has the dog house primary setup too BG. Ya oughta see the blast furnace effect between two 18" N/S splits in the middle with the air aimed right between'em. Straight between'em and then back over the top for secondary.

Whoa!

Don't rub it in. I miss end loading. Even if the 602 could only take a little load, the blast furnace effect of flame at front wrapping around the fuel was pretty impressive. I love the Castine, but really appreciate how nice it must be to fill the stove up N/S.

Status
Not open for further replies.