Propper way to use moisture meter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

J-RO

Just wondering what is the proper way to use my moisture meter, do i use it on a fresh split peice of wood on the split side or use it on the side that has been split for a while? Why i ask is that ive been getting conflicting numbers, i cut my wood down so i can load n-s and when i put the meter on the freshly cut part of the wood im getting alot higher number than i am when i move it to the side that has been split at first. Is this normal?

Yes you should be measuring on the freshly split face. Not a fresh cut end. From my understanding the pins should go parallel with the grain.

pen

pen said:
Yes you should be measuring on the freshly split face. Not a fresh cut end. From my understanding the pins should go parallel with the grain.

pen
I get exactly the same readings on a fresh split compared to a fresh cut, tried it on many pieces and it was always the same, as long as it is a fresh split or cut it makes no difference for mine.

oldspark said:
pen said:

pen
I get exactly the same readings on a fresh split compared to a fresh cut, tried it on many pieces and it was always the same, as long as it is a fresh split or cut it makes no difference for mine.

The literature I've read always says to go parallel to the grain. I've actually never tried on the end with mine to see if it makes a difference. Have to give it a go sometime to compare.

pen

Spark your 3 year old season wood is dry all the way thru , ha ha

Status
Not open for further replies.