Pros and cons of adding a external thermostat to Harman pellet stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jim2074

Feb 21, 2014
Eagle River,WI
I have a Harman XXV. Is adding an external thermostat worth it? Do you feel you use less pellets? Do you feel it keeps a more even room temp? If you are using an external thermostat what make and model? I am trying to understand the pros and cons.
Thanks much.

I don't own a Harman but I do use a thermostat on my St Croix.

When I run the stove on manual, it's difficult to regulate the temperature in the house. Whenever I get cold, I'd have to go turn it up. When I get hot, I have to turn it down. The thermostat will automatically turn the stove up and down as the thermostat calls for heat. I use a wireless thermostat but I keep it hanging on a wall at the far end of the house away from the stove.

Here's the thermostat I use:

http://www.venstar.com/Thermostats/WirelessR/

I don't own a Harman but I do use a thermostat on my St Croix.

When I run the stove on manual, it's difficult to regulate the temperature in the house. Whenever I get cold, I'd have to go turn it up. When I get hot, I have to turn it down. The thermostat will automatically turn the stove up and down as the thermostat calls for heat. I use a wireless thermostat but I keep it hanging on a wall at the far end of the house away from the stove.

Here's the thermostat I use:

http://www.venstar.com/Thermostats/WirelessR/
How did you wire it into the Harman?

You can wire a T-Stat in series with the room probe. The skytech T-Stats with swing setting made for pellet stoves can easily clip on to the back of the Harman pellet stoves.

I've been using a Hunter tstat as a timer/controller and the Harman stat to control the temp. It has been working perfectly all winter. It's wired in series with the Harman probe.
Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.