Q&A Pros and Cons of Soapstone Stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

1) Can you give me the pros and cons on soapstone woodstoves?
2)I am considering purchasing the Hearthstone Starlet. Apparently this model does not come in soapstone. It comes in granite or marble. What are the differences between these two stones and how do they compare with soapstone and cast iron?
3) I have noticed that the clearance specs on these stone stoves is considerably less than cast iron stoves. Can you explain why. Can I trust that these clearances are safe?

Answer:

1. These stoves are actually a hybrid of Cast Iron (or steel) with an outer stone layer. The most important point is the beauty and flexibility of design. This is the best reason for choosing a HearthStone stove. Since the stone is separated by an air space from the actual firebox of the stove- the stone will not get too hot- but generate a soft and warm heat. As far as cons- these stoves may be a bit more delicate than some steel stoves. If you were a dedicated "woodsman" who wanted to shove 10 cords of wood and lumberyard scraps thru your stove- I'd steer you toward other stoves. But for a combination of beauty and function- these stoves are excellent
2. These stoves are actually a hybrid of Cast Iron (or steel) with an outer stone layer. The most important point is the beauty and flexibility of design. This is the best reason for choosing a HearthStone stove. Since the stone is separated by an air space from the actual firebox of the stove- the stone will not get too hot- but generate a soft and warm heat. As far as cons- these stoves may be a bit more delicate than some steel stoves. If you were a dedicated "woodsman" who wanted to shove 10 cords of wood and lumberyard scraps thru your stove- I'd steer you toward other stoves. But for a combination of beauty and function- these stoves are excellent
3. Yes- the clearances are less because the stone traps some of the radiant heat and releases it in a more controlled way. This results in a good heat output but less chance of overheating surfaces near the stove.<p>
Another great Soapstone Stove company is Woodstock Soapstone. You can check them out at the link below.

Link: Woodstock Soapstone

Status
Not open for further replies.