Pros and cons of vented vs. nonvented gas stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkeyemom

Sep 22, 2007
We are finishing our 1100 sf basement. We would like to install a gas stove and are debating installing a vented vs. nonvented stove. I am interested in the pros and cons of both types of stoves to help us make a decision. Please share your knowledge and experiences. We would be grateful!

Cost/budget, as usual, may sway you one way or the other. If it means anything, less and less manufacturers and shops are doing vent free units. I had a Jotul Sebago direct vent stove in my old house and it was great. VERY realistic (guests were often fooled), beautiful, high quality, and heated my 1500 sf cape in Southeastern PA easily. Vent free adds safety concerns around air quality that aren't even an issue with direct vents since they use outside air for combustion. In a basement, which aren't known for good air quality to begin with, I would definitely consider vented.

Most knowledgeable industry insiders would not have vent-free in their homes......maybe a wall mounted unit for occasional use in a breezeway, but not for actual heat in the living area or for many hours of use. Consumer reports did an extensive test of vent-free - their conclusion....don't buy one!

There is a reason VentFree are not legal in many states....

I have allergies to quite a few things, and when I walk into the hearth store and the vent free is burning (propane) it sets of my allergies. It took a couple of times to figure out it was the fireplace but I am now certain of it. Also vent free add a lot of moisture to the air and cellars are usually damp enough to begin with.
I will be installing direct vent in my home and always recommend DV to the customers.

Thanks, everyone! We have decided to go with a direct vent based on the excellent posts and reviews. We were not aware of all the potential side effects (makes sense, though) and were focusing on the effieciency differences.

Did you pick one out yet? Or still shopping around.

Well, right now we are leaning towards Hearthstone's Santa Fe. We like the look and utility of soapstone.

Status
Not open for further replies.