Pros -product question please.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm restoring an old farm house in Pa. Right now I have the ceiling opened up and have wired for recessed lights. Before closing them with drywall, I was considering an application of one of the many available "fireproofing" liquids out there. I realize they don't actually fireproof, but make it so wood does not support an open flame and smokes very little. It has the added bonus of protecting from wood-boring insects. So would I be wasting my money @ ~$300/5 gal. on this stuff - or will I be buying my family some time to get out in the event of a fire?

Thanks for your input.

'Frank

I'm starting to think these products are not worth it since nobody has any first hand knowledge.
I'll report back if I find anything else out.

sorry man, i have no info on those.
but ELK was 'relieved'/'excused', or perhaps 'turned into creasote' a few weeks ago.

suprised no one else chimed in yet.

edit
well its not like i was talking about him being dead.
sorry if anyone took it that way.

Just to clarify that last post, he's still alive and well, just not participating on this site.

-SF

ok, no problem - just figured he was the man to ask.
I'll continue to search for some info and report back. Seems like a worthwhile product if it hold true to claim.

'Frank

I believe that there is fire-retardent dimensional lumber out there. Wolmenized lumber is green in color and the fire-retardent stuff is purple. I've seen it used in commercial applications but not in residential. Like wolmanized lumber, the purple stuff saturates the lumber and is applied in the factory. If you have already done the framing it may be too late for this lumber. Also, I have no idea about possible environmental concerns regarding this lumber.
Chip

Pook said:
offroadaudio said:
I'm restoring an old farm house in Pa. Right now I have the ceiling opened up and have wired for recessed lights. Before closing them with drywall, I was considering an application of one of the many available "fireproofing" liquids out there. I realize they don't actually fireproof, but make it so wood does not support an open flame and smokes very little. It has the added bonus of protecting from wood-boring insects. So would I be wasting my money @ ~$300/5 gal. on this stuff - or will I be buying my family some time to get out in the event of a fire?

Thanks for your input.

'Frank
if the wood smokes very little, whats going to set off the smoke alarm?

Good point to be considered - thanks.

'Frank

I saw a program on one of the educational channels recently where they were treating the roofs of houses in California and other fire prone area with that type of product. There were several neighborhoods that had fires where the houses with the treatement didn't burn down and the one's without did. I'm sure the retardency goes only so far.... But, that's a pretty good recommendation.

swestall said:
I saw a program on one of the educational channels recently where they were treating the roofs of houses in California and other fire prone area with that type of product. There were several neighborhoods that had fires where the houses with the treatement didn't burn down and the one's without did. I'm sure the retardency goes only so far.... But, that's a pretty good recommendation.

Thank you - that's just the kind of information I'm trying to gather.

'Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.