Prospective buyer looking for advice and referrals

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GoodTimes

Jan 28, 2019
Washington State
I need to install a insert into my fireplace before next winter but am skeptical of installers in my area doing everything possible to get the most out of it efficiency wise. The install at my brother's place had insulation i believe but not a block off plate which is my concern. Since I have a external chimney at my house I wanted to go all out with my install that includes that block off plate and roxul insulation on the sides of the fireplace as well. Can anyone recommend a installer in the Everett, Washington area? What questions should I ask? How do I not get jerked around?

I'm also open to doing the install myself. I did enough readings of other installs on this forum to be semi-comfortable with doing it myelf. Just a little hesitant with whats at stake. (It is essential a fire in my house right?)

Anyways, appreciate any advice/suggestions I can get.

I'll bet most installers around here have never even heard of a block off plate.

To get the most efficiency out of your new insert you need to get started on your wood pile yesterday. You can have the best insert with a block off plate and an insulated liner (which you do want for the best efficiency) and if you are loading wood that is not ready to burn (buying seasoned wood from a wood dealer will not be ready to burn) you will be extremely disappointed in your heat output.

If you can find someone who has good references and you can afford to pay for the install, PAY THE MONEY. Tell them your install requires a block off plate.
I'm right in the middle of a DIY install at my house and after the liner install, cutting the firebox metal and chimney/firebox cleanout, my lungs feel like I have worked two years in a coal mine.