Prostate Health

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Huntindog1

Minister of Fire
Dec 6, 2011
South Central Indiana
A bit of news for anyone fighting Prostate issues. You can buy a product called TeaVigo that is a purified version of Green tea that is like 95% EGCG content to take with your Ibuprofen. Or there are Green Tea Capsules that are like drinking 3 to 4 cups of green tea.

EGCG together with ibuprofen may have significant prostate cancer fighting activity

Mar 04, 2008

Scientists at the University of North Texas Health Science Center in Fort Worth are aware of the value of both EGCG from Green Tea and ibuprofen, a drug commonly prescribed for arthritic pain, in fighting prostate cancer cells. DU-145 cells are prostate cancer cells used to study how this cancer grows. When either EGCG or ibuprofen was added to the prostate cancer cells they reduced the number of cells by 25% at most. However, when both EGCG and ibuprofen were added to the cells together they reduced the number of prostate cancer cells by a whopping 90%. The study is published in the November-December 2007 issue of the journal Anticancer Research.

"Scientists at Britain's Blackpool Sea Life Centre have found a new octopus that falls a bit short in the octo category.

It only has six legs, making it a hexapus."

Reactions: DAKSY
A few years back a friend of mine was all excited when he read about a digital exam for prostrate cancer....until he realized what they meant by "digital"

Dasky, Ha Ha , this is the Inglehook off topic forum..

But anything to keep you old farts burning wood a few more years.

Reactions: Gark
Here is the actual PubMed.gov Document

Anticancer Res. 2007 Nov-Dec;27(6B):3947-56.
Synergistic cell death by EGCG and ibuprofen in DU-145 prostate cancer cell line.

Kim MH, Chung J.
Source

Department of Molecular Biology and Immunology, University of North Texas Health Science Center, Fort Worth, Texas 76107, USA. [email protected]
Abstract

BACKGROUND:

One of the green tea components epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG) significantly prevented the growth of prostate cancer cells. In this study, synergistic effect of EGCG and ibuprofen (EGCG+ibuprofen) was investigated to determine their anti-proliferative and pro-apoptotic action in DU-145 prostate cancer cells.
MATERIALS AND METHODS:

Cell death analysis, immunoblotting, RT-PCR analysis, and caspase activity assay were used.
RESULTS:

EGCG+ibuprofen treatment resulted in 90% growth inhibition, while ibuprofen or EGCG alone reduced cell numbers by 25% and 20%, respectively. EGCG+ibuprofen induced MAPK activation, caspase activation and the inhibition of Bfl-1 expression, all of which were blocked by the antioxidant, N-acetyl-L-cysteine (NAC). Moreover, addition of ceramide rescued the NAC-inhibited MAPK activation and pretreatment with the ceramide synthase inhibitor, fumonisin B1, reduced cell death.
CONCLUSION:

Our results suggest that in DU-145 prostate cancer cells: (i) EGCG+ibuprofen treatment has a synergistic effect on apoptosis, and (ii) oxidative stress, directly or indirectly via ceramide synthesis mediates pro-apoptotic signaling.

"Scientists at Britain's Blackpool Sea Life Centre have found a new octopus that falls a bit short in the octo category.

It only has six legs, making it a hexapus."

I heard it was a sexapus

A few years back a freind of mine was all excited when he read about a digital exam for prostrate cancer....until he realized what they meant by "digital"

When I turned 40 and had the "pleasure" of having my first prostrate check I asked the doc if I could take a look at his hands . . . and sadly they looked quite large to me . . . I also apologized to him the whole time . . . a few weeks . . . or maybe it was months . . . he left the practice. I don't think it was due to me.

My last one was done by a doctor first name Caroline. I was her first. >>

images

Got home and told my wife I was gonna be sick a lot in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.