Protected surface, Non protected surface?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nokoni

Nov 28, 2005
Is brick considered a "protected surface"? How far does single wall connector pipe need to be from plain, unpainted brick? How far does single wall connector pipe need to be from wonderboard?

Whats behind the brick?
How thick is the brick?

A stovepipe shield allows a reduction of clearence by 50% or more and I think it helps reflect heat out into the living space better

single wall pipe is 18" from non combustiables. since wonder board is non combustiable the distance is 0

According to NFPA 211 a brick faced wall infront of a combustiable wall clearances can be reduced 1/3 No combustiable enclosure shall reduce clearances to less the 12 " So single wall pipe protected by a 4" brick or concrete facing can be reduced to 12 "

Examples a stove required distance is 36" to the rear wall a brick veneere can reduce thar distance to 24" a brick venere with
1" air space can reduce it to 12" The one inch air space must be free flowing meaning it cannot be blocked off at the bottom sides or top. Here are some of the examples of reduced clearances, There is 3 pages of descriptions covering using metal cement board and thicker brick

The measurement is taken to the combustiables not the brick wall. If positioning a stove in front a completely non combustiable wall, one still should allow for air space just for stove and heat dissipation my recomendation is read the manufactures specs or leave about 6" that is a recomdation not code

There is nothing behind the brick. It is an old brick chimney. Does that mean my single wall pipe can have 0 inch clearance to the brick as elk said it would to the wonder board? Also, I want to seal the seams of the wonderboard and paint the wonderboard. Can I use regular paint and drywall compound to seal the seams? The single wall connector pipe has about 1 1/2" from the pipe to the wonderboard. The stove has 14" behind it (as manual requirers, it is 6" to "protected surfaces" but I wanted to be safe and left the 14" to "combustibles") to the totally brick wall. I'm just worried about the single wall pipe at this point. The stove has at least 40" on all other sides to anything.

Paint did you know high heat paint comes in colors like white? Excuse me I am not a home depot fan but they sell it at Home Crapo
stop worring it sounds fine to me (and everbody know how much I take to safety). now start enjoying your new stove and lean to use it effeciently

Thanks Elk, I'll slap some regular paint on the wonder board and TRY to stop worrying. I have been enjoying my stove very much (between the guys coming back to re-fix their fix!) It is heating my house nicely, except my cold-drafty kitchen. I REALLY appreciate all of your help and other on this board. I know you guys saved my butt and my animals butts. It is just weird to venture into this technical fire stuff. I'm a tutor for English as a Second language kids and this is way out of my league. But, I've got warm toes in an otherwise cold, cold house.

Status
Not open for further replies.