Protecting Green wood during drying

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

karri0n

Nov 18, 2008
Eastern CT
I'm planning on taking some red oak rounds and cutting them into 1 to 1.5" slices, on which to do wood burning, engraving, or painting. What's the best way to prevent the faces from checking while drying? I was hoping to be able to quick dry them, but air dry will do if it has to be done.

Any recommendations for either quick drying or air drying?

You'll want to paint their faces on both sides with a good, aqueous wax, end-grain sealer. A source for this comes from the decking industry. It's used to stop end grain checking on hardwood decking. You can get this at your local lumber yard. Ask for an end grain sealer like Anchorseal.

Bondo said:
I’m planning on taking some red oak rounds and cutting them into 1 to 1.5” slices, on which to do wood burning, engraving, or painting. What’s the best way to prevent the faces from checking while drying? I was hoping to be able to quick dry them, but air dry will do if it has to be done.

Ayuh,... If you're talkin' about "Slices" across the grain,... In other words, thinner rounds,...
It'll crack,+ Split no matter what you do,... No stopping it...

I've seen finished products with engraving/pyrography and the pieces weren't cracked and checked. I had heard of Anchorseal, too. I guess that's what I'll try and see how it goes. I'm not gonna run out of wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.