protecting wood framing from stove pipe radiant heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mick meyers

Nov 28, 2013
seattle, WA
My question is how to best protect a 2x4 wood frame from a single wall stove pipe. I have a 6" single wall stove pipe that goes up through a brick chimney to a double walled stove pipe that goes through the roof and shingles. However the change over from single wall to double wall stove pipe passes through a 2x4 frame that is roughly 10" square. I'm worried that the radiant heat from the single wall pipe is enough to start this framing on fire. This framing is about 12' from my Lopi wood burning stove. There is approximately 3" of clearance from the single walled stove pipe to the framing. What would be the best way to protect this wood framing.

Thanks for any and all replies.

Welcome to hearth.com. Your concern is valid. Stove pipe is not allowed to be used in chimney and single wall pipe that close to wood is not safe at all. The minimum clearance to combustibles in an open space is 18". In a closed space where heat can get higher it is not allowed for the because of the serious risk it presents.
Can you post a couple shots of this stove and piping so that we have a better visual picture of the setup and so that we can suggest alternatives?

Welcome to hearth.com. Your concern is valid. Stove pipe is not allowed to be used in chimney and single wall pipe that close to wood is not safe at all. The minimum clearance to combustibles in an open space is 18". In a closed space where heat can get higher it is not allowed for the serious risk it presents.
Can you post a couple shots of this stove and piping so that we have a better visual picture of the setup and so that we can suggest alternatives?

Thanks Begreen, I'll try to put something up today.

It sounds pretty scary to me but i agree we need to see pics to completly understand the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.