Prototype home made door fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

[email protected]

Jul 23, 2008
Northern RI
Well here is version number 1 of my home made door fan, an old (from a dead computer) 12 v muffin fan and a simple over the door hook, if it works I will look into some bigger fans and make my own mounting bracket

Attachments

• fan.jpg
    fan.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 893
Sometimes the simplest answer is the best. I was looking into using a 110v muffin fan, but I knew my wife would be upset if I put holes in the wall/trim. I didn't think of the over the door bracket. Let us know how it does please. Thanks.

How many cfm is it?

It is in a room with 2 doors, one fan blowing in (down low) one out (the muffin up high) as I said it is from an old dead computer so I have no idea on size/ model.

Nice job on the bracket!
That is a good idea to use with the fan below.
I don't have any old fans kicking around.
We are still in the planning stage!
May have to do 4 rooms. Not cold enough yet to know.

Has anyone seen these?? 120 CFM
Price is comparable to a new computer fan but will require holes in the door frame or use the bracket design above!!.
http://www.improvementscatalog.com/home/improvements/93890-room-room-fan.html

macman said:
CygnusX1 said:
Pretty much looks like my set up, only I attached mine to the door jamb.
You can find all the parts for them here:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ww...ch&search_type=keyword&QueryString=muffin+fan

Cygnus,

Which model (cfm) did you get? If you had to buy again, would you get the same one?

I have two 105 cfm fans. They haven't failed me yet and as sawdustburners stated, blow the cold air towards the stove.

Yes, I would buy them again. They're pretty much quiet and increase the heat in my hard to get to rooms.

lessoil said:
Nice job on the bracket!
That is a good idea to use with the fan below.
I don't have any old fans kicking around.
We are still in the planning stage!
May have to do 4 rooms. Not cold enough yet to know.

Has anyone seen these?? 120 CFM
Price is comparable to a new computer fan but will require holes in the door frame or use the bracket design above!!.
http://www.improvementscatalog.com/home/improvements/93890-room-room-fan.html

I used to have that type of fan. It's sounds like you have a Cessna in your living room, very, very LOUD!

I used to have that type of fan. It’s sounds like you have a Cessna in your living room, very, very LOUD!

Thanks for the info!
Looks like computer fans might be the way to go.

If you dont want to drill holes use some of that sticky velcro, and remove itin the off season. Thats what I am using. The magic sponge removes any residue left from the sticky side.

Status
Not open for further replies.