PS40 shutting down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Murph

Proud Grandparent
Dec 13, 2011
Cape Cod
Went and cleaned a PS40 that was shutting down some times a half hour maybe more but seemed to run fine if it made it past an hour or more. Thought to myself a good cleaning, not the POF switch since it did not occur at the initial start up. Cleaned the stove including internal flues and the vent pipe which just empty's into a 8 inch flue (not a fan) but that's the way it was done and in the past the stove has functioned. Test fired the stove no problems, great fire almost white, active. Getting called back because the stove again is shutting down. Question can the POF switch sometimes fail? Can it fail after a normal start up and has been running? I've read you can clean them off with steel wool to remove carbon but I feel in this case since this is my second attempt it should just be replaced.

Yes a POF can open after start up has taken place or fail while running.

They can also fail to close if they get a good load of crud on them or open if say the stove goes from a high firing rate to a low one due to a good load of crud on them (like on high low t-stat mode).

The only question I have is are you sure it is the POF, what can fake a POF out is a very low failing fire due to poor pellet feed caused by vacuum issues.

I thought that might be the case with regards to failing while operating. With regards to vacuum issues are you saying that the feed can be lessened without a total failure to feed. I thought the fire was very active and while I was there seemed to not be failing although I thought that like most all of the PS40's I've seen the damper was full ope and never adjusted, I also notice that the ash pan gasket was looking tattered and could be replaced but I did not have one. Another question. How do I take a draft reading on one of theses and what would the range be? Thank you, I know I ask a lot of questions. The more work I do the more questions I have.

I don't know what the draft reading is supposed to be but one can take a reading by inserting a mag probe between the door and its gasket if there is enough room. Frequently there is a hole into the firebox that may have a screw in it. The readings are taken on high burn after the stove has stabilized.

Lots of things have control of the fire and vacuum.

You really should get a service manual for each stove you work on, a lot of things are common between all of the stoves but there are little gotchas as well.

pi40 here.... same thing just insert model more or less.

I'd suggest just replacing the snap disc in the combustion blower. i'd put money on it being the issue. I've replaced mine 4 times in the past 5 years. every time, it runs mint again for about another year. Same symptoms you describe above. sometimes it will fire, sometimes it won't. sometimes its not on start up.

Status
Not open for further replies.