PS50 feed rate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

You'refired

Dec 12, 2017
Canada
Could someone tell me the lowest feed rate for the heatilator ps50? The specs I see state a heat range from 1800 to 2500 sq ft. That seems awfully high for the lowest heating capacity. It also states the BTUs per hour as being over 18,000 as the low. Again seems high. I don't want to buy a stove that goes through 2 bags of pellets a day on low or am I misreading things? Thanks.

It is a big stove,big btu's.In my opinion(which is not worth much,in some circles)the minimum fuel burned ratings,on pellet stoves,is usually underrated,they burn more.If you want to list your house layout/insulation,your expectations,there are some smart persons here that will give you good advise.Also,how much of what does it normally cost to heat your hose would help them.

Reactions: Ssyko
I have a big sea captain's house near ocean in Nova Scotia. 2400 sq ft 2 storey centre hall plan but fully insulated with all new windows (over 20). Not obsessed with it heating the house in its entirety, just would like one I can turn on low and let it go without turning off except for maintenance. My former 1600 sq ft 2 storey had an enviro ef3 or 3 and never used more than a bag a day to heat the place.

Feed rates and btus are fairly subjective from Mfrs. The 3 speed Quads (3 heat level selection- lo, med, hi)and Eco choices (models 1200CB and PS50 respectively) are basically about 25k, 35k, and 50k input. This equates to about 2.5-3.0, 3.5-4.0 and around 5.5-6.0 lbs/hr. Remember that is input btus. Output is about 75-80 percent of input. Also, area heating ratings go on about a 50 percent duty cycle ideally. So, for a 12 hr burn time per day, on low the stove will go through 30 lbs or so, up to 72 lbs a day on a high setting. This is all dependent on heat load requirements- the square footage being heated, the pellets' quality, the outdoor temp, the climate you live in, how warm you like it. All variables. What it comes down to is the stove will burn what you let it burn- determined by outdoor temp, what heat level you have it set at, the area size, what temp you have the thermostat (the on/off control for Quads and Eco-choice stoves) set at. In short, it varies considerably.....