PS50 new thermostat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

colinb93rs

Oct 31, 2012
I purchased a ps50 ecochoice pellet stove and am very happy with it and have ran the furnace only twice and that was when it was -15 C outside and in the morning just to bring the temp up faster for getting ready for work. My only complaint and its very specific to my situation is that the thermostat is an analog and I want to switch to a digital so I can program it. Its apparently a 2 wire milivolt system and I purchased a milivolt programmable thermostat but looking over the documentation I found no instruction from either device on how to install....can anybody lend a hand that has already done this or knows which wire goes where?

White wire to the W terminal on the new t-stat.

Red wire to the Rh terminal on the new t-stat.

Set the new stat for heat only, all other settings I'd need to know which t-stat you bought.

I'm assuming that the current t-stat location is where you are going to put the new one and that the wiring to the old one conforms to standard practice.

You can also follow where the old t-stats wires go into your stove to discover where that end gets hooked up.

My advice to you is to not replace your existing known good t-stat wiring and to just replace the t-stat at the same location.

Many a time folks have added a t-stat only to discover that in running the wiring they have either broken one of the conductors or have shorted it out.

Reactions: kinsmanstoves
Thanks for your advice, I do plan on using existing wiring. So by looking at existing wiring I have a black and white wire running into the analoge thermostat. And on the digital I have the following terminals: G (RC RH shorted together) Y and W. My intention is to connect the white to W and the black to RH. But before I do...let me know if this is correct or if im out to lunch again!

Nope you should be fine ... funny normal two conductor t-stat wire is red and white. I have spool of it on the desk.

It really doesn't make a difference which wire goes to which terminal on the t-stat as long as one goes to the W and the other to the Rh.

I'm an old fuddy duddy and like things to somewhat make sense.

Just make certain that the t-stat is set for heat only mode. Otherwise you'll have to remove that jumper between Rh and Rc.

What stat are u looking at? The way that Heatilators are designed , they run better with a decent swing setting.

Look to see if it has an adjustable swing? Most Lux stats do, Rite temp, and Hunters. But most Honeywells have a 1* swing built in. You need at least 3* swing to let the stove have idle time after shut down. Short cycling a Quad/Heatilator will lead to a very large flame. Possible over fire situation.

The thermostat I am using is a hunter 47110a I picked up from rona. The guy there says it should work fine however he stated shortly after he has never connected a thermostat to a pellet stove before.

I was wondering where you were located with the -15 C. Rona says it all (I should have known from the 15 C).

Looks like thay model Hunter has a "Span" setting also. It appears to be up to 3° (not both ways though).

My recommendation is to set it to Span 3 right off the bat. Anything less will have that stove short cycling (shutting off and on all the time) :(

Its in the manual online how to do it, but you hold Both the up and down temperature buttons until "Span" appears in the LCD. Then increase to 3…

Status
Not open for further replies.