ps50 question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ps50

Jan 17, 2015
vermont
Is it ok to run it on high for a long period of time? Heard it wasn't good for some stoves, but haven't seen anything about it on mine.

fortunately for us,in our situation , we hardly ever NEED high.....last year very briefly{a few hours} we used the high setting when it was below 0........the stove smelled "hot" after a while........We wouldnt want to go to bed and leave it unattended on high,but it seems to be ok for us for brief periods......

Reactions: kinsmanstoves
i've run mine on high for many hours at a time when needed. this year more so than others.
no problem. ever.
often what i will do is run it on high a while and then switch down. just getting the stove nice and hot makes medium put out really well.
but during the serious cold snaps, i have no hesitation at all running it on high for as long as i need.

i heat my whole house with just the pellet stove. and i send some air down to the basement with a box fan on a vent in the guest room. so when it's seriously cold out, i just run it where i need it to maintain the temps i want.

i've never had the high limit switch stop the stove.
the thing is pretty much a tank.

however, in my opinion if you are needing to run on high for long periods when it's above zero out, i would think about adding a second stove.
Snowy Rivers made a really good post on that topic somewhere here just a few weeks ago.
and she has many years of experience with these things.

also, what are you doing to distribute the heat through the house?
many of us rely on fans to help with this task. a general principle that works for many (not all) of us, is sending cold air toward the stove from the further rooms at low speed and at floor level.

i do that as well as have my vornados up high sending warm air back to the rear of the house.
this is a big topic with many threads. there are almost as many configurations of fans as there are layouts of houses.
with a few exceptions, it almost always starts with the cold air return along floor level into the stove area. this causes the warm air to be displaced and return up high in a convection loop.
all i do with my vornados up high, is help along what the floor fans have started.

it's pretty amazing what a small fan running at low speed can do over time.
but you have to experiment and find what works best for your house's layout.

Last edited:
it should be able to. as long as its clean I don't see why not. if it overheats its suppose to shut down. if it overheats its usually caused by a dirty stove or dirty exhaust.dont mark my word. im a newbie.

it should be able to. as long as its clean I don't see why not. if it overheats its suppose to shut down. if it overheats its usually caused by a dirty stove or dirty exhaust.dont mark my word. im a newbie.
also I think having an oak would help. fresh outside air probably cools the stove. (I think) help me out guys

I run mine on high 24/7 when the temps are in the teens or lower. No worries. I have a selkirk 4" that heats the outside air, as it is pulled in.

I run it on medium most of the time. But when it gets to negative temps i have to run it on high to keep the house warm enough. I have a door fan in the stove room blowing hot air into the other rooms. Also have a ceiling fan in stove room but doesn't seem to do much. The stove is my main source of heat. Just wanted to make sure running it on high for long periods of time was ok. Thanks for the input.

u may want to draw your lay out of the floor and post it. u may get some input on where to put your fans etc. if u look up some threads on it u may be surprised that the fans aren't helpin u out. also take temperatures of each room.

Status
Not open for further replies.