puff of smoke from stove in cat mode

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bad69bird

Oct 7, 2011
New London Pa
I have a Woodstock keystone sometimes in cat mode will get a flare up followed.by a puff of smoke along the top edge of the stove. Anybody ever seen this before

The smoke comes into the room..is that what you're saying?

Yes only a quick puff right were the top of the stove meets the sides at each corner

Yes only a quick puff right were the top of the stove meets the sides at each corner

Well it sounds like the gas's are building up then set off by the cat or a spark/flame..it happens.
But to leak smoke where you are saying is not normal..usually its where the flue connects to the stove or around bad gaskets.

Just give it a tad more air. In these warmer temperatures, the draft is not as good so it is normal to want to give it just a little more air; maybe if you are running at 1, go to 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 and that should take care of the problem.

Reactions: Owen1508
Thanks for the replies, Looking at the woodstock info looks like I should also give my cat a quick cleaning

Bad69bird, just be careful cleaning it. Don't use high compressed air. We do use the "Dust Off" cans that you use to blow out a keyboard but that is all. Most times we just use an old paint brush. Dust it on both sides. Very lightly tap it on a block of wood to knock off the fly ash that is on the inside. All in all, handle with care and be careful to make sure you put it back in right.

Status
Not open for further replies.