Puff the magic dragon.........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbie

Minister of Fire
Well, now I've told my age. :)

My stove runs perfectly 99.9% of the time, then occasionally, not very often, I damper too much, ( Resulting in not enough oxygen, which results in a "mini explosion").

It rewards me by "puffing" a slight bit out the pipe "damper holes" after the flu gases build up within the stove.

The damper holes are of course above where the pipe joins my stove exit on top.

What's funny is it barely ignites the stove gases, just a tiny little "Puff", but thats enough to send a little puff through the holes.

This is not a big deal, very little smoke, hardly enough to even smell.

I plan to try to solve this by doing the following and wanted some opinions as to the chances of it working.

First, my pipes are clean as a whistle. They are not caulked or sealed in any way. They have never leaked smoke at any of the joints except the damper holes.

I plan to change the damper section with a solid section, no holes, so surely no puffs will escape here, the flu gas that I occasionally cause should just expand right on up the pipe, past the damper holes.

Am I correct in thinking this ? Will this work ?

Robbie

Status
Not open for further replies.