Puffed up pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thecds2323

Nov 20, 2014
Long Island ny
I'm new to the forum and would appreciate the help. I Bought two tons for freedom fuel from a local HD for my xxv. I've notice that some of the bags contain pellets that appear to have been wet but are now dry and puffed up. I'm noticing this as I'm dumping the bag into the hopper. Most of the bag is good dry complete pellets. Is the few "puffed up" pellets gonna hurt the stove?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    391.8 KB · Views: 155
Yep they got wet at some point. I have run them in an enviro when I had that stove. Didn't seem to cause any problem. Other stoves may object though. What stove do you have?

Moisture is the arch enemy of pellets.

Yep they got wet at some point. I have run them in an enviro when I had that stove. Didn't seem to cause any problem. Other stoves may object though. What stove do you have?

I have a harman xxv. About 2 out of 6 bags I've ran through it so far have been Iike that. Do you think Home Depot will do anything for me. As far as returns or credits. I can't tell how to bag will be till I open it

A straight auger may not be a big deal but the Harman's have that sliding gate to pass thru. Might gunk up the works? Don't know as I haven't tried to run puffed up pellets in my Harman. I would call Home Depot and see what they say.

I have a harman xxv. About 2 out of 6 bags I've ran through it so far have been Iike that. Do you think Home Depot will do anything for me. As far as returns or credits. I can't tell how to bag will be till I open it

My guess is they will make good on any bad bags . . . they have for me in the past.

Reactions: thecds2323
I vacuum screen bags that have puffed up pellets twice and hand pick out the ones that don't get removed. There will be a larger amount of fines in that bag because some of those puffed pellets will have been broken up due to handling ... hence the double screening. I would waste more gas trying to return these bags than the amount of lost pellets - a trade off on a bit more work.

Good bad or ugly, I roast them all. Just mix the bad with some good....I even burn moldy shelled field corn, it all makes heat....

Status
Not open for further replies.